A Broken Man

(Video inspiration above) 1402 words

    Wild was tossing and turning in the tree he was sleeping in, and the entire Chain was worried that he might fall out. Even Legend, who normally looked like he doesn't give a fuck about anyone, looked scared. Wild was rather high up anyway. Finally, the suspense was over.

Not that that's a good thing.

Wild did fall out of the tree.

    Thankfully, Time caught him. The downside was that Time collapsed, still holding Wild. Wind and Twilight rushed over to see if they were injured in some way, and as soon as they set a finger on one of the two, they also collapsed on the growing heap of Heroes.

    Hyrule hesitated before walking over, and scanned them over with magic. "I think that they were pulled into Wild's nightmare." He said, a slightly horrified expression creeping into his face. Four walked over first. "Then I guess we should join them." He said, reaching out.

    He joined the others on the pile. Hyrule looked and his mentor and Wars, before shrugging and saying that this was probably the dumbest thing to do, but also what he thinks needs to happen. After he passed out, Legend quickly came over and did the same. If anything happened to Hyrule and he couldn't do anything...

    After arguing in his head for a few seconds, Wars rolled his eyes and came over, succumbing to the odd magic.

...

They woke up in the nightmare, only to see something odd. It was Wild, surrounded by what looked like spirit versions of all of them. Their Zeldas were there too, even Flora. Time was holding a helmet, and seemed to be the one mainly talking to him. They were all colorless, cold and distant, yet chillingly there.

Then they realized that they themselves were almost spirit-like here, not quite physical and were apparently not able to be seen. Only Hyrule heard Legend muttering how it felt like he was a painting again. I am not even going to ask. He thought.

The versions that surrounded Wild were somewhere between singing and chanting. Time realized something about them. "Look, they all have white eyes..." The rest of them quickly saw this also and became a shade of pale none ever thought possible.

The spirits were circling Wild now, telling him how he had no say in who lives, who dies, who tells his story or anyone else's. He looked mortified, and turned to run from the horrific shades of his family. But he only saw behind him a wall of them, blocking his escape. They looked deep into his soul as they chanted again.

Who lives? Who dies? Who tells your story?

Wild spun around, still looking for an escape, while clearly having long realized that there wasn't one. "No! Stop! Please!" He begged. Though the rest of the Chain had barely even heard him speak, and they could tell that this wasn't his normal voice.

It was filled too much with fear.

He couldn't stop listening to the horror of the shades. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Time's shade put on its helmet.

When Wild looked at it, he saw a skull, with one glowing, blood red left eye. He realized that Time was the Hero's Shade, who Twilight had told only Wild and Time about. Time and Twilight exchanged a wordless glance, but they both knew what they had seen.

The shades turned and left him, Flora's included. Wild looked at her and stared to reach out. He didn't want to lose her again. Then he remembered. Shades. That's all they were. He nearly ran, he didn't know if he was going to run to the shades, or away.