22: the elephant shoes

I heaved out a sigh before gently turning around to pick up my shoe. Unfortunately it had cut and got spoiled.

"Are you with a car?" He asked and I shook my head sideways.

"Okay I hate to do this, but you can come in my car, and I can drop you somewhere to get a new shoe." He said pointing to a red car that was located few feet away.

I looked from him to the car before I darted back my attention to my shoe to see whether I could fix it.

"You ain't trying to fix it right?! I mean who does that?" He added.

I didn't pay attention to him. I just don't like mingling with him, too mean for my liking. I don't like people who are heartless and so mean. He's just that!

I kept looking gloomily at my shoe.

"Hey, be glad that the whole Adams is literally offering you a ride!" He said again.

I didn't say anything. I was still standing. Just then something clicked in my brain. Adams! Oh Adams! That's his name Adams! I've heard that guy earlier when I came in called his name and that other guy that this guy claimed to have pushed me intentionally called him Adams too, when he was begging for mercy. If that's his name, i'm sure he might be a Muslim then. Oh Artwork! Artwork design here I come!

But wait did I just overthink stuff?

"Why are you smiling?" He got me outta my reverie.

If not that my mouth was dry I could have gulped down a saliva.

I opened my mouth to ask him but couldn't find the right words. I can't just be like are you Muslim? It'll come across as rude if he's not.

"You wanna ask a question?! Why do you hesitate before saying out your mind?" He said before glancing at his wristwatch. "Five seconds more and I'll be gone. You help those that wanna be helped!" He added.

Why is he always using hurtful words?

"It's called chewing words. Try it sometime." I wanted to say but I just said "alright fine I want to ask you."

I said before gently looking at him. He nodded at me to go ahead.

"You're a Muslim right?"

"Why do you asked?"

He had this smirk on his face. And a heart drenching look that I regretted asking him about it.

"I was wondering if you know anyone to help me with Islamic artwork in my house." I politely said.

He smirked again before saying, "then you come with me!" He darted to his car direction. I let out a sigh before following in same direction.

I got in and we drove out of school, before he slowed down at a nearby mall. "What's your shoe size?"

"39." I answered. I don't know how their shoes work here. I haven't bought a shoe literally, these were since the ones I brought from Nigeria.

I saw his face scrunched upwards "39? That's too big. That's like an elephant size." He mumbled out.

"Nigerian size 39." I explained further. He squinted at me before shrugging and getting off the car. "You wait here. I'll be right back."

Keeping to his words he appeared with a loafers. "They browsed, and it was equivalent to American size 7 and Scottish size 8. They said it might be incorrect but wear this one first, and we can go in so you check for the one you want." He said from the drivers seat as he passed me the shoe.

I collected and scrutinised it. I scrunched up my nose at the shoe. Too girly for me. But I appreciate it still. "I think it will fit." I said as I bowed down to wear it. I did and it didn't fit. It was huge.

I turned around to look at him, shaking my head sideways. "It doesn't fit." I said.

"Alright manage it and go look for something that'll fit." He said.

I nodded at that. He got off the car again. "Hey!" I called out while still in the car, and he lowered himself and looked towards me from the car window.

"Thank you." I said and he just nodded before walking ahead. I got off the car and followed in his league. "Wait! Grocery shopping!" I silently let out.

"Adams please stop!" I called out after him. He turned around before nodding.

"Can you please open the car?" I semi yelled so he hears.

His forehead creased a little before he pressed the car remote from where he stood.

I got back in the car and brought out my wallet that had my master card in it, from my backpack. I closed the door quickly knowing he was still standing there waiting for me.

We entered the mall and after some series of him walking, with me following behind, I finally guessed we arrive. The attendant came to us with a smile. "So, sorry it didn't fit." She said.

"Yeah, the service here is awfully bad," Adams retorted with so much disdain.