44: failure

"Jasmine brown, C+" the lecturer announced. I felt a bang in my chest. I forcefully gulped down saliva. Then I released a huge sigh and let out an 'Alhamdulillah' I didn't want to be ungrateful to Allah. We just had a test and the lecturer was announcing result. He said only three students got an A. Maybe Adams was part of them.

"Adams Brown B+" he announced.

My eyes widened at that. Neither Adams nor I made it to the top three?

I slowly turned around to have a better view of Adams. He seemed cool with it. He smiled at me before giving me a thumps up, I quickly looked away and bowed my head down. I felt tears threatening to cascade, but I fought them back, I didn't want to be ungrateful to my Lord. And I didn't want to cry, because I had my eyes to take care of. Talking about eyes, I've been recently feeling my abdominal pains coming back intensely, if I may add. But since I was to go to the hospital today for checkup, I might as well tell the doctor about that, but maybe it's not his speciality. Since he's an eye doctor.

As usual I didn't come with my car. Once the lecture was over I walked out of the lecture room and have finally reached the lounge when I saw Adams standing in front of me. I didn't talk to him, I just tried changing lane. But he again stood in my way.

"You seem upset. And you got a medical checkup!" He said in one breath.

I released a sigh. He never forgets about a thing. Does he?

"You with legs or not?" He asked referring to the range rover he got me.

I only shook my head sideways as reply.

He released a sigh before saying, "you did great Jasmine. There's always room for improvement. Common i'll get you somewhere before your doctor's appointment clicks."

I didn't say anything. I made attempt of taking a step when I heard someone calling his name from behind, oh I knew that voice.

"You said you'll come to my modelling session!" The voice said.

"I'm sorry Camilla. I can't make it. I'm really sorry. Jasmine got a doctor's appointment, I have to take her there."

I wanted to say i'm okay he should go with her when she let out a comment that stabbed me in the heart, and it made me regret not coming with a car. And right there I knew I had to start using that car. I wouldn't want anyone to talk so lowly of him like that.

"Oops forgot you're now a driver!" She said looking from him to me.

Adams didn't say a word, but I kept shifting uncomfortably because even though they were friends I didn't like how she talked so lowly of him. I don't know if they exchange jokes like that, but she could have at least waited till I was out of the picture before saying that on his face.

"Have fun with that!" She said and walked off.

I gulped down saliva. I wanted to apologise in her place, but I didn't want to make matters worst, so when I just heard him say I should come with him, I followed.

Adams ended up stopping by at some place. I read out the sign board. I didn't know how it happen but I started crying. I just put my head on my knees and buried it in my hands from where I sat on the passenger's seat in his car. I was so happy. No, I was too happy. He volunteered for a community service that involved children and brought me here, simply course I told him I loved kids. Awes!!!

"Jasmine, don't worsen the eye pain. Stop crying!" I heard him say.

I rubbed away the tears from under my glasses and quickly nodded. "Common let's get inside, can't wait meeting them." I said and he opened the door for me from his seat as we alighted the car.

Once we were inside, my heart was so full with the love of all these kids of various ages. They looked so innocent and happy and really really beautiful. I loved them more, because none of these kids knows about racism, or colourism, or anything before the society teaches them that, which I hope not!

I hugged each one of them, I was seating beside some girls of about 5 years of age, telling me stories of a disney princess when I viewed him reading stories to the kiddos that were seating around him. It's like the world around me stopped because suddenly all I could see was him reading books to the innocent kids. And that melted my heart away. I felt a lone tear cascaded down my face, I quickly rubbed it away.

"Why are you crying?" A girl of about 12 asked. I remembered her saying she's Ruby.

"He's slowly turning in to a nice guy." I absent mindedly told her as I watched him exchanged hugs and kisses with the little ones.

"Aunt do you love him?" She asked in her little small voice.

I looked at her and smiled before shaking my head. She took it as a no.

"Thank God." She said with relief and released an exaggerated sigh.

"I think I love him." She whispered to me. And I had no idea how I broke in to laughter. It's funny seeing a small girl like that saying she likes someone. It's childish and at same time cute. Just then Adams waved his hands ushering us to come closer. I slowly raised up and clutched Ruby's hand in mine, along with holding another kid, as I ushered for the rest to come along. And we reached to where Adams was and took our seats.

"I'll confess pretty soon." Ruby whispered in my ears and giggled. I smiled at her.

"I wanna marry you in future Uncle."