chapter five

After my classes I refused to go back to my dorm and isolate myself even more. I had hope of seeing Professor Murphy again, perhaps outside of class, so I decided to go the library and get some homework done. I did get caught up on work and accidentally ended up doing two weeks worth of late work from my other classes. It seemed as if Professor Murphy's class was all that mattered anymore.

In the middle of ordering my signature triple shot latte for my second coffee of the day, my attention shifted abruptly. Professor Murphy, engrossed in the Science Fiction section of the library, caught my eye. Without allowing myself to complete the order, I ignored the cashier and quickly walked over to him.

As continued searching, I could see Professor Murphy was sporting his glasses, a look that I secretly admired. Taking a moment to gather courage, I found myself captivated by his focused demeanor.

I observed him for a few moments before I could actually muster up the courage to approach him, but as I stared, our eyes suddenly met. Mine quickly averted, but the sound of his laughter hinted that he had noticed. Glancing back, I found him approaching me with a playful tease, "You stalking me, Clementine?"

Butterflies danced in my stomach while I heard my name escape his lips. I forced a nervous giggle as I attempted to explain, "N-No, I was just here—"

He playfully cut me off, removing his glasses. "I'm teasing you," he reassured.

Noticing the change, I gestured toward his glasses, "You don't wear those very often," I pointed out. "You should," I added with a nervous laugh.

A chuckle escaped him. "Really?" he teased with a smirk, as if he already knew I liked his glasses. Blushing, I nodded, words stuck in my throat. "Hm," he huffed, then placed them back on. "Better?" he smirked.

Giggling, I responded boldly, "Yes."

His smile, a beautiful sight, hinted that he knew the effect he had on me. Overwhelmed by his perfection, I found it challenging to maintain eye contact and diverted my gaze to the floor. "You sure have trouble with eye contact, don't you?" he questioned, smirking down at me.

My eyes flickered up, and I offered a guilty smile. "Yeah... Sorry about that," I admitted.

He chuckled, noting, "You apologize a lot, too."

"Sor—err—yeah," I corrected, scoffing at my own tendency to apologize excessively.

"Cute," he mumbled, barely enough for me to hear, a laugh escaping his lips. The words made my heart nearly leap out of my chest, and my eyes widened in surprise. Glancing up at him, my face turned red, and my palms became sweaty. Another round of laughter escaped him at my reaction, eliciting an uncontrollable smile from me. "I should get going now. Wouldn't want to keep you from your studies," he said, casting a glance at my book bag.

"Oh, no, you're not—"

"That's okay," his smooth voice gracefully interrupted me again, and he continued to walk past me. However, he slowed down for a moment, coming to a stop right beside me. A gentle hand found its way to my shoulder, and he leaned in slightly. "And don't forget about that reading assignment," he whispered, "because I might call on you tomorrow."

The warmth of his touch lingered on my shoulder as he resumed his path, leaving me alone. His words echoed in my mind, a mix of nervousness and excitement settling in for what might happen the next day.

***

I woke up the next morning with a sense of determination to talk to Professor Murphy again. The impending weekend brought a sense of dread, knowing I wouldn't have the chance to see him for three long days. But unlike me, he actually has a life, perhaps a girlfriend even, which is what I fear most. So today became crucial to making the most of our interactions before the weekend starts.