chapter thirty one

Glancing at my phone screen, excitement surged briefly before disappointment flooded in at the sight of a text notification from Hailey. An invitation to a New Year's party sank my mood instantly. A scowl formed almost involuntarily on my face. There was no chance I'd go to that thing.

The thought of being surrounded by Hailey and her clique felt like a nightmare, especially knowing Nick, already suspicious of Cillian and I, would likely be there. Recalling the previous party only added to my repulsion. It was astonishing they even bothered to invite me again.

Cillian's voice broke through my thoughts. "Everything okay?":

I had neglected to tell him about Hailey and especially Nick. I didn't want to stress him out. "Yeah, everything's fine," I replied, though the tension in my voice betrayed my true feelings. "Just got an invite to a New Year's party from some people I knew back in high school. No way I'm going," I said, hoping he wouldn't press further on the matter.

"No?" Cillian asked. "Why not?"

A scoff escaped my lips before I could stop it. "That's a dumb question, Cillian," I chuckled bitterly.

Cillian furrowed his eyebrows, his gaze searching mine for answers. "I don't want to be the reason you can't be with your friends," he told me.

I shook my head, a wry smile playing on my lips. "They are not my friends," I laughed. "Trust me, I don't want to go," I assured him.

Cillian's smile widened. "Well, let me buy you dinner then," he offered.

My eyes lit up with surprise. "Like a date?" I asked, a hint of disbelief mingling with excitement.

He nodded affirmatively. "Yeah, like a date," he said, his expression softening.

I couldn't contain my joy, and a squeal of excitement escaped my lips as I threw my arms around him, kissing him with passion. "What about everyone else?" I asked, a flicker of concern crossing my mind amidst the whirlwind of emotions.

Cillian shrugged nonchalantly. "They don't need to know anything," he said casually, his tone relaxed. "We're just two people having dinner. Is that a crime?"

I smirked in agreement. "Not at all," I replied with a thrill of excitement.

His brilliant, charming smile softened his features as he looked down at me, drawing me closer to him. His left hand settled gently on my hip, while his other hand lingered on my lower back, dangerously close to my ass. "Good."

***

        Despite Hailey's persistent texts, I remained steadfast in my decision to ignore them. The very idea of her wanting me around puzzled me. Yet, that was the least of my worries. Whenever Cillian was near, nothing else seemed to matter, if only temporarily. Of course, David would always be there in the back of my mind. But I knew this space would be good for both of us. At least I hoped it would.

Upon returning home to prepare for dinner, I finally had the opportunity to dress up. I had never been on a date before, so I was determined to make the most of it. After a refreshing shower, I meticulously applied my makeup, a practice that Cillian not only accepted but appreciated. It was a relief to know that he was mature enough to value me regardless of whether I wore makeup or not. Unlike boys my age, who are convinced girls only wear makeup for boys' validation. 

Rummaging through my closet, I sifted through my limited selection of dresses, most of which I found unattractive. However, nestled among them was a perfect choice: a sleek black dress adorned with delicate lace sleeves, falling gracefully to mid-thigh. Pairing it with sheer tights and my trusty Doc Marten boots, I completed the ensemble. A spritz of fruity body mist added a final touch before I threw on a sweater and grabbed my keys to head out and pick up Cillian.

I pulled up to the motel where he was already waiting outside, hands behind his back and a sly smile on his face. He was wearing a tailored charcoal gray suit that accentuated his lean frame. Beneath the jacket, he wore a black shirt, its collar peeking out with a subtle sophistication. His choice of a slim black tie perfectly complemented the sleekness of his attire. Completing his look are polished black leather shoes, each step echoing confidence and poise. The attention to detail is evident in every aspect of his outfit, to the understated silver rings that adorned his long fingers.

It was unlike anything I had ever seen him wear before. His hair, styled with precision yet possessing an endearing touch of disarray, caught my attention. Strands of hair peeked out from the carefully gelled sections, adding a hint of casual charm to his overall look. As he approached the car, I remained frozen, my astonishment evident in my gaze. Leaning down to the driver's side window, he tapped it lightly, a hint of amusement playing at the corners of his lips.

"Let me drive," he said, his smile barely contained. I nodded and stepped out of the car, observing him from a closer angle. "Well, well, look at you," he remarked, his eyes scanning every inch of my body. "Very sexy," he teased, readjusting the right side of my sweater that had fallen off my shoulder.

A flush of embarrassment colored my cheeks as I giggled softly, feeling a touch self-conscious under his attentive gaze. "Shut up," I protested playfully, averting my eyes downward.

Cillian gently lifted my chin with a tender touch, planting a sweet kiss on my lips. "Come on," he urged, moving around the car to open the passenger's side door for me, "I've found a place I think you'll really like."

"Alright," I chuckled nervously, settling into the seat as he closed the door behind me. With him at the wheel, we smoothly exited the parking lot. He didn't even need directions. Somehow Cillian already knew his way around this city. It struck me then, how intelligent he was, how impressive he was. I still had no idea why he liked me.  

***

Wow this was so short and I am so sorry about that!! 

Also I'm so happy Cillian won that Oscar. He deserved it. 

:)