chapter twenty seven

The following morning, I woke up in a foggy haze, my mind wrestling with a small hangover. The clock read 10 am, and David was likely still at Sam's place, so I decided to go get breakfast somewhere. Living in the city was a blessing and a curse. Fortunately, where I lived I had the convenience of nearly everything within walking distance, with public transport as a backup option. Today, however, I opted for a walk to a nearby coffee shop.

Wallet in hand, I stepped out into the foggy morning, locking the door behind me. As I began walking, I cursed at myself for not wearing a warmer jacket. But it was usually like this in the city, I was surprised I wasn't used to it by now — especially because I've been living in Boulder for the last year and a half.

As I approached the cafe, I felt a buzz in my back pocket. Pulling out my phone, I saw that I had gotten a text from Hailey. The thought crossed my mind: what if Nick had said something to her? Though Nick remained unaware of the truth, who's to say he wouldn't make something up? A sudden wave of panic swept over me
Deciding to postpone the inevitable, I pocketed my phone and continued on until I reached the entrance of the cafe.

Making my customary order—a lavender latte with oat milk, accompanied by a freshly warmed pumpkin muffin—which I was eager to taste again since I've been gone for so long.
With Christmas looming just four days away, the pressure of finding the perfect gift for David weighed heavily on my mind.

Resolving to address it later, I made a mental note to make one last attempt at contacting my dad. If he failed to answer this time, I vowed to sever ties completely, a decision made easier by my strained relationship with my mother.
As I waited for my order, my phone chimed again, signaling another message from Hailey. Bracing myself, I decided to confront it head-on.

Hey! I had sm fun last night. Let's hang again before you leave!

Nick keeps asking about you too. I think he might like you ;)

My eyes widened in alarm, and I instinctively brought a hand to my mouth to stifle a gasp, my heart pounding in my chest. Nick's persistence in contacting me sent a chill down my spine, sparking a wave of apprehension. Why was he so intent on reaching out to me? What did he hope to achieve?

The unsettling realization dawned on me that Nick likely harbored some ulterior motive, perhaps a desire to manipulate or exploit me. The thought sent shivers down my spine. Despite his lack of concrete information, the mere idea of him possessing any leverage over me filled me with dread.

Worry gripped me as I contemplated the potential consequences of Nick's actions. The possibility of him fabricating lies to tarnish my reputation or, worse yet, uncovering the truth about Cillian filled me with a sense of vulnerability.

Shaking my head to dispel the unsettling thoughts, I forced myself to focus on the present moment, my gaze fixed on Hailey's text.

Ignore.

I heard my name being called, indicating that my order was ready, but my heart plummeted when I caught sight of familiar figures approaching the cafe entrance – Hailey, Gwen, and worst of all, Nick.

Fuck.

I instinctively recoiled, attempting to blend into the crowd in a futile effort to avoid attention. As my name echoed through the cafe once more, panic seized me, urging me to retreat further.
Each call of my name intensified the knot of fear in my stomach, and I cringed inwardly, praying to evade their notice.

Yet, my hopes were dashed when Hailey's eyes locked onto mine, freezing me in place.

Fuck!

Hailey's grin was strained, her movements sluggish as she waved in my direction. The signs of fatigue and perhaps a lingering hangover were evident on her face, just like the other two. Despite my inner turmoil, I maintained a composed smile as she approached.