chapter fifteen

I walked to my pottery class with a pep in my step. The sweet taste of Cillian's lips still lingered as I entered the classroom. I had made it in just on time, and sat in my usual seat in between Alexandra and Rufus.

"Hey guys," I smiled cheerfully, putting on my apron.

"Wow, you're cheery today," Rufus said.

"Oh, I'm so sorry for actually smiling," I said with heavy sarcasm, rolling my eyes at him.

"You're all red, too," Alexandra smirked, "hot for Professor Murphy?"

My heart plummeted into the depths of my stomach, a rush of panic seizing me as my eyes widened in shock. "W-What?" I managed to force out a nervous laugh, struggling to comprehend the sudden revelation. "Why-Why—?"

Alexandra's laughter filled the room, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Clem, relax," she chuckled, her tone teasing, "I'm just messing with you, as usual."

Gradually, my breathing began to steady as I reminded myself of our typical banter, often revolving around Cillian. Yet, this time, it felt different. There was a newfound weight to it since I now shared a secret relationship with him.

"Oh, yeah, right," I laughed awkwardly, attempting to swallow down my nerves, though my cheeks burned even hotter than before. Alexandra, clearly amused by my flustered state, joined in on the laughter.

Rufus, wearing a scowl, interjected, "It's honestly kind of sick how obsessed you guys are with that man. You don't seriously believe you stand a chance, do you?" He scoffed, shaking his head in disbelief. With each word, my heart pounded louder, the discussion about Cillian only heightening my unease.

Alexandra bursted out laughing. "Oh, please," she mumbled, "Rufus, just say it," she said, "you're jealous."

"Excuse me?" Rufus's expression twisted into a sneer, clearly offended. "Why on earth would I be jealous of some old man?"

"Alright, alright," I intervened, holding my hand up in a gesture of surrender. "Let's put an end to this, guys. It's not that big of a deal." I desperately wished to end the conversation, unable to endure another moment of their bickering over Cillian.

"See, Rufus? No harm done," Alexandra remarked, her smirk still present as she continued to playfully tease him. "He's probably got a wife and kids."

"He doesn't," I blurted out, the words slipping from my lips before I even realized I had spoken aloud. "Um, I mean... I think..."

"Really?" Alexandra's smirk widened mischievously. "Well then, maybe I do stand a chance," she joked, aiming to piss off Rufus even more. Throughout the remainder of the class, I was mostly silent, merely listening as their argument unfolded. It became evident that most of the tension stemmed not from Cillian himself, but rather from Rufus's obvious crush on Alexandra. Hearing her discuss being attracted to an older man naturally aggravated him. Lost in my thoughts, I spent the class period fixated solely on Cillian.

After my classes wrapped up for the day, I went back to my dorm room, attempting to bury myself in homework to pass the time. The hours dragged on relentlessly as I eagerly waited, my impatience building with each passing minute. Finally, as the sun began to set, I could no longer bear the wait. It was time to call Cillian.

"Is this who I think it is?" His voice, like a gentle caress, greeted me from the other end of the line.

"Yes, it's me," I replied, feeling my cheeks flush with embarrassment.

"I can tell," he responded with a soft chuckle, his words dripping with warmth. "I've been thinking about you, you know."

"I've been thinking about you all day," I blurted out eagerly, unable to contain my longing. "Can... Can you come pick me up?" I ventured, my hopes soaring high.