chapter thirteen

I collapsed onto Cillian's plush couch, the exhaustion enveloping me like a heavy blanket. I had taken off the sweaty hoodie in exchange for one of his soft, well-worn t-shirts. As I sank into the cushions, a wave of relaxation washed over me. Cillian approached with a steaming cup of tea. Taking it gratefully, I watched as he settled beside me, not leaving even the slightest bit of space between us. He gently placed his hand on my thigh, sending tingles racing through my veins.

"Have you started reading that Kafka book you bought?" Cillian asked, his tone curious yet playful.

Caught off guard, I hesitated, uncertain how to respond. "Uhmm...well..." I stalled, unable to confess that I still hadn't read one word. Now that Cillian was here, now that he was mine, it didn't matter.

He laughed, his hand venturing up my thigh with a subtle touch. I couldn't help but shiver at the sensation. "I figured," he remarked with a smirk, his gaze fixed on me with an amused glint. "Why did you buy that thing anyway? You hated the Metamorphosis."

A flush of embarrassment flooded my cheeks as I recoiled inwardly, my discomfort clear. I struggled to muster up a convincing lie, my thoughts racing in search of an excuse. "I bought it b..because..." I stuttered, desperation evident in my voice as I searched for a plausible excuse, a lifeline to rescue me from the impending embarrassment.

"Just say it, Clementine," Cillian interjected calmly, his gaze steady and unwavering. "You bought it because of me."

His words struck me like a lightning bolt, rendering me momentarily speechless as I stared at him, wide-eyed. Panic surged within me, my mind racing to comprehend what he had just said. With a soft chuckle, he patted my thigh a few times before taking his hand away completely. His touch was both comforting and electrifying.

"You've liked me for a long time, haven't you?" he teased, his tone laced with amusement as he reveled in my shame. I felt equally humiliated as flattered.

My head hung low, a heavy sigh escaping my lips. "How did you know?" I muttered, my voice barely audible in the quiet room.

"You're quite obvious," Cillian replied matter-of-factly, a hint of amusement dancing in his eyes. "I'm much stealthier than you are, Clementine."

A nervous laugh bubbled up from within me, but I couldn't shake the flush of embarrassment that painted my cheeks. "This is so humiliating," I admitted, lifting my gaze to meet him with a frown etched upon my features.

He shook his head, a fond smile playing on his lips as he reached out to ruffle my hair, now almost fully dry. "It's adorable," he reassured me, his smirk making me fight a smile.

I leaned into his comforting presence, a sense of warmth enveloping me as his arm wrapped around me, pulling me as close as possible. With a contented sigh, I nestled against him, reveling in the safety and comfort in his embrace.

As his fingers threaded through my hair in a soothing rhythm, a wave of relaxation washed over me. With each gentle stroke, the weight of the world seemed to lift from my shoulders, and I closed my eyes, not bothering to try and stay awake. As I drifted to sleep in his comforting embrace, I knew without a doubt that this was the best feeling in the entire world.

***

Hi guys! I'm so sorry, I know this chapter is insanely short but I'm gonna be super busy with work/school this week so I just want to get at least one chapter in so I'm not leaving y'all hanging.

Thanks again for your support! Don't be afraid to click that star button ;)