Study

Naris spent the next two days working for the Mages Guild. The trivial tasks they assigned him were boring but they kept him occupied while he considered what had transpired on the day he arrived in Morrowind. He'd been taken from the Imperial City, shipped across the continent, set free and sent to serve a member of the Blades... why?

Naris had asked Caius this, the few times he'd gone to rest in his house, but he'd never got an answer from the old addict.

Instead of worrying on it every hour of the day, Naris tried to put the strange turn of events out of his head and focus on the present. The tedious tasks of the mages guild were beginning to annoy him, he was an accomplished mage, even if they didn't know it, so spending hours a day picking flowers was grating. One good thing to come from the monotonous tasks was coin, he'd made a respectable amount of money in the last two days. Managing to earn enough to afford a new set of armour, well part of a set. The new bonemold chestplate and greaves had proved helpful when Naris had taken to exploring the wilds around Balmora, and found himself attacked by what he discovered to be creatures named alit. The new sabre he'd purchased had cut right through the creature's thick neck and made it easy to cut the skin from its body to sell to the armourer in Balmora.

Now Naris was in Caius' house, the old skooma addict had gone to do some task and left Naris alone. The young dunmer was sitting alone and bored in the only room in the house, looking around the small dwelling and trying to spot anything interesting. Hmm- there was a book he hadn't seen before. Naris stood and bent down to pick up the small book placed underneath Caius' bed, The Great Houses of Morrowind- A Compendium V by Niskan Hlas . Huh... this would probably be an important read if he was living here now.

Naris went back over to the table and opened the book. 'The following is a brief look at the history and structure of the Great Houses of Morrowind. For more detailed information please see, The Great Houses books I-V. '

Naris read over a short summary of the history of Morrowind, things he already knew and then turned the page to see the actual information he was trying to discover.

'House Indoril was the most powerful of the Great Houses for a long time, until the coming of Tiber Septim when House Hlaalu took control of the Great Council and many regions of Morrowind that once belonged to House Indoril. House Indoril also claims the title of the most pious dunmeri house, with family ties to the Lady Almalexia herself. House Indoril is led by a Seneschal who rules from the city of Mournhold.'

Naris hummed, one of the gods of Morrowind was a member of a Great House? No wonder the Indoril's had so much power before the Empire came.

' House Indoril's motto is Justice knows no sleep: Indoril shall order, the Temple shall judge. The shorter words, Piety is Our Strength can often be found engraved on Indoril artefacts.'

Well, they sure did live up to the title of 'most pious', if their house mottos referenced the Temple.

'The Indoril sigil is two crossed wings, gold on white. Their patron saint is Saint Olm the Just... House Indoril is led by a Seneschal who rules from the city of Mournhold and their lands encompass the east central regions of Morrowind. Currently the Seneschal of House Indoril is Galsu Indoril.'

Naris hadn't seen any symbol like that. House Indoril must not have any lands on Vvardenfell, or if they did, they must be on the other side of the island.

'House Redoran. House Redoran was founded on the 3rd of Last Seed in ancient times. The house has a long history of military might and has served as the main fighting force in Morrowind since the First Era. House Redoran's lands encompass the western peninsula of Morrowind and portions of western Vvardenfell.'