Knowledge

There was another ashstorm battering Ald'ruhn by the time Naris and Ryna left the city for Balmora. Ryna had awoken earlier than Naris and gone back to the bookstore to purchase a book on ashlander traditions and history. When Naris asked why she had said that growing up she never learnt about the other half of their peoples history.

Ryna was engrossed in the text the entire silt strider ride back to Balmora. Naris had decided he needed some time to clear his head so didn't ask Erranil to teleport them to the other city. So while Ryna spent the ride reading, Naris spent it thinking. There was only one answer as to who the figure in his dreams must be, the same person that had been mentioned multiple times when he asked questions, Dagoth Ur. Neminda had heard whispers too, whispers of people seeing things in their dreams. It must be Dagoth Ur who was visiting him in his dreams, the only problem with this answer was Naris could not for the life of him think of why.

"Naris," Ryna's voice pulled him from his reverie. "We're here." Naris cracked his neck and shook his shoulders to clear himself of his thoughts, thanking the caravanner as he left the platform.

"I'll wait for you in the cornerclub," his friend said as they crossed the river to the south side of town. Naris hummed, digging through his bag for the notes Hassour had written. Ryna rolled her eyes and walked off without another word.

Caius was sitting on his bed, book in hand when Naris entered

Caius was sitting on his bed, book in hand when Naris entered. "I have notes from Hassour Zainsubani," he said without preamble.

Caius put the book down. "Thanks for your report. But keep Zainsubani's notes on the Ashlanders. You'll need them. I'm promoting you, and sending you to the Urshilaku camp to speak with Sul-Matuul and Nibani Maesa. But before you go, I think it may be time to tell you what's going on." He took a deep breath.

Naris cocked his head, he wanted to be relieved at finally getting an answer to that question but the worry on Caius' face tempered his joy. "The Emperor and his advisors think you have the appearance of meeting the conditions of the Nerevarine prophecies. That's why you were pulled out of prison on his Majesty's authority and sent to me. So you could satisfy the conditions of the Nerevarine prophecies and become the Nerevarine."

'The Emperor and his advisors think you have the appearance of meeting the conditions of the Nerevarine prophecies.' The Emperor... thinks... Nerevarine prophecies.' The words replayed over and over in Naris' head as he stared uncomprehendingly at Caius. "What?" he almost yelped.

"Here. This is a decoded copy of the coded package you gave me when you arrived. Read it later. It should explain everything." Caius handed Naris two sheets of parchment. He took them without thought, hands shaking and thoughts racing. "As you'll see in the decoded message, the Emperor and his counsellors say you have the 'appearance' of satisfying the conditions of the prophecy. Do you REALLY satisfy the prophecy? Are you REALLY the prophesied Nerevarine? At first, I thought we were just supposed to create a persuasive impostor. Now I don't know what to think. But I am sure of one thing. This is not just primitive superstition, and we will treat it seriously, just as his Majesty commands."