Dreams

Naris was somewhere dark. Somewhere he didn't recognize. A tall figure with a golden mask was walking him among others, corpses with rotting flesh falling from their bones. He could hear voices but no one was speaking. Naris sucked in a breath but his chest didn't rise. He tried to pull away from the tall figure but they just walked forward, speaking with each figure as he passed among them, laughing and joking, as if they were alive, but they made no reply. Naris tried to scream but there was no air in his lungs to scream with.

He snapped awake.

"Naris?" Caius' voice called.

His eyes snapped to the imperial man, who was seated at the table, reading over the notes Hasphat had supplied. "It's nothing. Just a dream."

Caius narrowed his eyes unconvinced. Then he sighed after a moment, "I've glanced at Hasphat Antabolis' notes. They cover the Sixth House admirably, but not the Nerevarine cult. Hop on over to the Mages Guild. Get Sharn gra-Muzgob to tell you what she knows about the Nerevarine. She'll have some silly errand for you. Report back when she's given you the information."

Naris nodded, pulled his armour back on and headed towards the Mages Guild. He knew Sharn, not well but they had met. Hopefully his membership in the Guild would mean she wouldn't give him too hard a task.

Sharn was where she always was, on the lower floor near the books, researching. "Oh! Naris, welcome back," the orc smiled when she spotted him. "What can I do for you?"

"I was uh... wondering, if you had any information on the Nerevarine Cult?" Naris asked.

"Hmm... Caius sent you?"

Naris nodded and she smiled. "Caius and I have a very satisfactory arrangement, and I'm sure we can come to some sort of agreement, if you will complete a little errand for me."

"What do you want?" Naris sighed.

"The errand, then, is very simple. I need the skull of Llevule Andrano. You'll find it in the Andrano Ancestral Tomb. But take care not to upset the natives. The Dunmer have some peculiar primitive prejudices against necromancy, and take grave objection to unauthorised tomb visits."

Naris blinked, "isn't necromancy outlawed by the Guild?"

Sharn rolled her eyes, "I am not going to perform necromancy, I just want to study the skull."

Naris hummed noncommittally. "Where is this tomb?"

"The tomb is south of Pelagiad, just off the road, just before you reach the fork where the road goes southwest towards Seyda Neen and southeast to Vivec. You may need an enchanted blade. Some spirits are immune to normal weapons--" the orc paused, then leant down and pulled out a blade, "Here. Take this old shortsword." Naris smiled as he took the blade, pulling it from the sheathe to check the edge. It was sharp and shining with the telltale shimmer of enchantments.

"I will get you that skull."