five

On a Wednesday morning in Gangnam, the streets were quieter than Jeong Han had anticipated

On a Wednesday morning in Gangnam, the streets were quieter than Jeong Han had anticipated. Understandably so, given that it was the middle of the week, and most people were likely buried in their work, pouring their efforts into earning their paychecks. Patiently standing under the midday sun, he glanced at his wristwatch, observing the ebb and flow of pedestrians. Each passing minute brought him closer to the long-awaited reunion with a certain someone.

The night before, as he finished showering after a long day at work, an unexpected call interrupted his peaceful moment.

"Hello?"

"Yoon sunbae-nim? It's me, Lee Na Ri."

"Mm," he acknowledged, "what's up, Lee-hoobae?"

"I'm not disturbing you, am I?"

"No," Jeong Han balanced his phone between his ear and shoulder while preparing a cup of hot ramyeon, "I just finished work. Why?"

"I was wondering when you would be free."

Upon hearing these words, Jeong Han's eyebrows raised ever so slightly. It took a moment for him to respond as he fought back a grin threatening to spread across his face. He didn't need to ask why Na Ri was inquiring about his schedule; he knew precisely why she had called.

"I've told you before, for you, I'm free anytime."

"That sounds too good to be true."

"I'm serious. Just tell me when."

A brief pause hung in the air before Na Ri spoke up, "Are you free this Wednesday, Yoon sunbae-nim?"

"Hmm... Wednesday, huh?"

"Ah, but if you're busy that day, we could meet another—"

"No, no! Wednesday's perfect! It absolutely has to be Wednesday!"

Na Ri chuckled softly at the other end of the phone, "Seok Min once mentioned that you have fixed weekends off and that you can't ever be disturbed. How come you're suddenly free this Wednesday?"

Jeong Han scrutinized his noodles. Not quite there yet. He preferred them just right – not too raw, not too soggy.

"As I've said, Lee-hoobae, whenever you need me, I'm at your beck and call."

A light titter danced through the phone, "You were really looking forward to me paying you back, weren't you?"

Jeong Han stifled a laugh, "I suppose you could say that."

"Does lunch work for you?"

"Lunch sounds good."

They delved into the details of when and where to meet. Just as Jeong Han sensed Na Ri was about to end the call, he interjected.

"Oh, and Lee-hoobae?"

"Yes?"

"You don't have to ask Seok Min about my schedule if you're curious. Just ask me directly next time, alright?"