eight

Jeong Han's delight was evident when Na Ri sat on the empty seat beside him

Jeong Han's delight was evident when Na Ri sat on the empty seat beside him. He observed her fidgeting, reaching for a bottle of soju, likely contemplating what to say. A mix of excitement and nervousness tightened his chest as he turned away, covering the smile forming on his face with the back of his hand, suppressing the giggles threatening to escape. After composing himself, trying not to make it too obvious he was overjoyed, he bit his lip and placed his chin on the palm of his hand.

"I guess this means you wanted to get to know me better too?" he ventured.

Na Ri's shoulders recoiled as she scratched the back of her neck, "Who wouldn't want to get to know you, Yoon sunbae-nim?"

"Were you always this rhetorical?"

"I could ask you the same question."

Jeong Han chuckled, his tiny laughter sending a flutter through Na Ri's heart. She looked down at her seat, wondering where the previous occupant had gone. "Where's Eun Bi-ssi, sunbae-nim?" Even Kim Min Gyu seemed to have disappeared.

"I'm not sure," He shrugged. "She also stood up when I excused myself for a smoke. Seung Cheol-ah, do you know where she went?"

"I heard she joined a couple of the guys who went out to vape."

"Even Min Gyu-ssi?" Na Ri asked.

"He went out for a call," Seok Min informed.

"Why'd you ask?" Jeong Han looked back at her.

"Well, uh," Na Ri bit her lip, "She might, y'know, get mad at me for taking her seat."

"I don't see her name on it." Noticing the perfectly cooked meat Seok Min was tending to, Jeong Han grabbed his chopsticks and placed some on Na Ri's plate. "Don't worry. If she does get mad, I'll handle it."

"O-Okay..."

Jeong Han swiftly downed the last of his beer and beckoned the servers for another bottle.

"I noticed you've been sticking to beer." Na Ri remarked.

"I drink soju too, but I prefer beer. What about you?"

"I'm not much of a beer person."

"Oh no, am I losing points with you for that?"

Na Ri tittered and savored a bite of meat. "How well can you handle your liquor, Yoon sunbae-nim?"

Jeong Han, his closed hand resting on his right cheek with his index finger pointing upwards, locked his sly eyes with hers and smirked, "Well enough to be able to take you home."

His unpredictable yet smooth and candid response startled Na Ri, causing her to drop her chopsticks and cough violently. As she struggled to regain her composure, Jeong Han poured a glass of water and handed it to her. After gulping it down and assuring him she was okay, Na Ri bent down to retrieve the chopsticks. Jeong Han, ever attentive, placed his hand over the table's edge to prevent her from accidentally hitting her head.