seven

Na Ri checked her phone once more, confirming the address to ensure she was at the right place

Na Ri checked her phone once more, confirming the address to ensure she was at the right place. She wasn't accustomed to attending gatherings alone; usually, she'd arrive with Seok Min by her side. But today was different. Stuck in the office longer than expected, she had urged him to go ahead without her, uncertain of when she'd finish her task. Standing at the entrance, she pondered whether to enter, mentally counting the familiar faces she expected to see—only a handful.

With her phone clutched nervously to her chest, a question lingered: Was her presence truly necessary? Unlike standout individuals from her university days, like Yoon Jeong Han, Kim Min Gyu, or Park Eun Bi, Na Ri wasn't particularly worthy of mention. Perhaps it was better to come up with an excuse and bow out before it was too late.

Just as Na Ri hesitated, a familiar voice disrupted her thoughts. "Oh? Is that you, Lee Na Ri-ssi?" The unexpected call made her turn, and there stood Park Eun Bi, the darling of the marketing major. Approaching Na Ri with a friendly smile, she lightly touched cheeks with her, leaving her feeling uneasy and perplexed with how buddy-buddy she was acting. Surprisingly, Park Eun Bi remembered her name, a fact that caught her off guard. While the girl occasionally spoke with her during their university days, it was never in pursuit of friendship. Na Ri had observed Park Eun Bi's pattern – engaging in conversation one day and ignoring the person the next, attributing it to her forgetfulness with names and faces. It was this cycle that prompted Na Ri to keep a distance from the popular crowd in her major, sensing a superficiality in their interactions, as if they were obligated to maintain a flawless image.

"How have you been? It feels like ages since we last saw each other!" Eun Bi greeted her with a charming smile. "You look different from the last time I saw you!"

Na Ri mustered a smile, trying to conceal her discomfort, but her attempt only made her appear awkward, a wry smile creeping onto her face.

"Did you do something with your hair? It looks lovely! This style suits you!"

"Uh, thanks...?" Eun Bi's compliments felt insincere to Na Ri, who was growing weary of the charade. An accidental bump from someone leaving the restaurant jolted her, prompting her to rub her shoulder where the collision had occurred.

"What are you still doing here? Aren't you gonna come inside?" Eun Bi asked.

"Oh, I was, uh,"

"Were you waiting for Seok Min? I heard he's already inside."

The last thing Na Ri wanted was for everyone from their major to see the two of them together. It had the potential to spark misunderstandings and thrust her into the spotlight, a prospect that horrified her. Being just a nobody compared to the very popular Park Eun Bi, Na Ri feared her worst nightmares would swiftly materialize. As she prepared to come up with an excuse, Eun Bi swung the door open and forcefully ushered her inside. "Come on, let's go! They're waiting."

Na Ri braced herself for what lay ahead as Eun Bi linked arms with her, dragging her to the tables. She had already envisioned various scenarios about what might unfold tonight, and she wasn't fond of any of them.