19 | You called

The BlackBerry buzzed in the pocket of Nicholas's blazer, Ivy Crest's emblem proudly resting on his chest.  His eyes instinctively blinked twice upon seeing the name that flashed on the screen.

Valeria.

They had exchanged phone numbers at Amelia's request, just in case they needed them for emergencies. However, a call had never been necessary until now, and the fact that she was reaching out when they had barely spoken since the kiss settled into an uneasy, tightening pit in his stomach.

"Are you not gonna get that?" Ariana asked, winding one of her box braids around her finger.

"I am," Nicholas said, his tone lacking in confidence.

He was on the tennis court with his cousin, Ariana. They had just gotten out of the car and were on their way to meet with some of her friends. She was in town for Nicholas's birthday, which was still two weeks away, but Ariana welcomed any excuse she got to take a little break, even if she was on a gap year.

Instead of answering the phone, Nicholas found himself staring at the screen, his gaze lingering on Valeria's name. Was she calling to talk about the kiss? Was she going to tell him to fuck off and never talk to her again?

"You can do it, you can do it," Ariana cheered, punctuating each word with a pump of her fist.

"Shut up."

Nicholas accepted the call, bringing the BlackBerry close to his ear as he turned slightly away from Ariana.  At first, there was only profound silence, as if the very air held its breath. And then, a faint, almost imperceptible whimper emerged on the other end.

"Valeria?"

His cousin raised her brow to him, recognizing the name, which Nicholas promptly ignored.

His mind raced through a million scenarios when, instead of words, all that reached him from the other side were cries, each more laden with distress than the last.  Was she hurt? Had there been an accident? Did someone hurt her? Was Amelia hurt?

Ariana gave him a look, her smile disappearing as she read the concern on his face.

"Valeria, what's going on?"

"Nicholas, I..." Her words faltered, stifled by a sudden cough. After that, it was like she had given up on offering him an explanation as to why she was crying. The rest of her sentence never came.

A wave of heat flooded through his body, Nicholas was overcome by a sudden urge to be on the other side of the call, by her side.

"I've got to go," he said to his cousin, heading back to the car.

"Wait, I'll come with you."

"No, go meet your friends. I'll pick you up later."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I'll call you if I need anything."

Nicholas made his way to the car, leaving his cousin behind.

"Please, tell me what's wrong," he pleaded over the phone to Valeria.

"I fucked up," she said in the middle of sniffs. "I'm sorry, I didn't know who else to call."

Nicholas's heart tightened with each passing moment.

"Where are you?"