32 | It's called luck

"You're so fucked, Nick," Roger voiced Nicholas's thoughts as they waited outside the principal's office.

"You're not helping," Lana said pointedly.

Roger huffed in frustration but didn't back down. "You weren't there."

"I don't need to have been there to know it was just an accident because I believe Nick," Lana countered, her voice firm but calm. "So there's nothing to worry about. Mr. Jones is just being dramatic. His nose isn't even broken."

It had been an accident, yes, that didn't concern him. What did weigh on his mind was the series of events that led up to the accident—his conduct—and how this little incident might bolster Coach Jones's argument that Nicholas no longer belonged on the team.

"How can you three be so sure of that?" Roger asked, frustration evident in his voice as he glanced between Nicholas, Lana, and Adam.

"Nick'll be out of this in no time, I don't know why you're so stressed," Adam chimed in casually, the confidence in what he was saying unshakable.

Nicholas nodded absently at Adam's reassurance, though his attention had been diverted by the figure that caught his eye.  Valeria stood at a distance, her posture tense. There was something off about her, a subtle shift that Nicholas couldn't quite place.

Leaving his friends behind to argue about his actions, Nicholas approached Valeria. "Hey."

As he drew closer, he noticed the tightness in her expression, the way her eyes looked everywhere but at him.

"Hey," she replied, her tone strained, followed by an awkward pause. "What happened?"

Nicholas could see the concern etched deeply into her face. "It was no big deal, I'll be out of it in no time," he attempted to reassure her.

"How can you say it was no big deal? Mr. Jones was bleeding, I saw it." Valeria pressed, her voice growing more urgent.

"Because it wasn't. I told you, this will be over in no time. Don't worry," Nicholas insisted, hoping to ease her anxiety.

"I didn't ask when the situation would be over. What did you do?" Valeria's tone was firm, her gaze piercing as she awaited his response.

Nicholas furrowed his brow, puzzled. "Is everything okay?"

He noticed her eyes flickering to something over his shoulder for the briefest second, prompting him to turn and follow her gaze. Lana stood where he had left her, observing them with a curious expression. It was as if he was only just realizing her supporting presence by his side for the past few minutes, simply because he had grown so accustomed to her being there for him.

"Is this about Lana? She just showed up." Then, with a teasing quality to his voice, "Are you jealous?"

Valeria's response was immediate and serious. "No, Nicholas, I'm not jealous, and no, everything is not fine. Mr. Jones was bleeding, and I want to know what you did."

That was when he realized she wasn't concerned about what would happen to him. She was worried about Mr. Jones.

Nicholas felt a surge of frustration rising within him, burning hot. "Why would you even assume I did anything?"

"Because Adam said so, but even if he didn't, I know you resent him ever since the window cleaning thing. And don't give me that look, you know you deserved it."

Nicholas scoffed in disbelief.

"He's a good teacher, Nicholas, and a good person," Valeria added, her tone pleading for understanding.