Understanding Self-harm

What is Self-harm?

Self-harm is the intentional and deliberate hurting of oneself.  Most commonly it is done by:

•Cutting

•Burning

•Hitting

•Picking at the skin

•Pulling hair

•Biting

•Carving

•Starving

Self-harm is different for many people. For some, it's a way of coping and dealing with emotional issues. For others, it's a punishment, a release of stress, a way to finally feel something other than the overwhelming numbness they may feel everyday.

And for most, it's an addiction.

Most people might not think so, but hurting yourself is a way to make you feel better. The phycical pain takes your mind off of the emotional pain you might be feeling. In fact, you might feel like you have no choice.

You may feel like self-harm is the only way to cope with feelings like, anger, self hate, sadness, loneliness, and guilt. The problem is, the relief that comes after self-harming doesn't last very long. Usually, after the relief, you feel things like shame and guilt.

Those who self-harm, wear the signs of their mutilation.  You can look for the warning signs and notice any unusual marks or branding on their body.  If anyone you know of is self-harming, get them help immediately.  Early intervention is crucial.

Warning signs Of Self Harm:

Unexplained cuts and bruises on the body.

•Wearing long sleeves and pants, even in warm weather.

•Secrecy, such as keeping a specific drawer locked or hiding specific items.

•A breakdown in typical communication.

•Mood changes or mood swings.

•Changes in eating patterns.

•Changes in sleeping patterns.

•Changes in socialising patterns.

•Evidence of drug or medical paraphernalia.

•Evidence of carrying unnecessary sharp objects, matches or lighters.

•Poor performance or results at school or work.

•Loss of interest in favourite hobbies or sports.

There is an overlap between self harm and thinking about suicide, however not everyone who self harms is suicidal. In fact, for some people, self harm may be their only way of wanting to keep themselves alive.

--------
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255