Coping Skills

I know, I know. I bet you're tired of people blabbing on and on about coping mechanisms. I understand that sometimes it isn't that easy. I've been in and out of different therapist's office and they always seem to tell me the same things: "Find healthier coping skills." "Think positive thoughts."

Quite honestly, those types of therapists are the very reasons why I hate seeking professional help sometimes, because it seems like they don't actually understand how it feels.

But, throughout all my years of struggling with self harm, I actually have found a few coping skills that actually work for me. Now, of course, these skills aren't meant to completely cure depression or completely stop you from self harming, but sometimes when you struggle severely from these kinds of things, anything helps.

If you self-harm harm to express pain and intense emotions

•Paint draw, or scribble (you can also do this on your body. I always found drawing cuts or bruises on myself to be helpful because drawing self harm is better than actually doing it)

Start a journal in which to express your feelings (I find this very helpful and I've actually filled up a couple of journals. You can also start an online blog. I find that apps like Vent or websites like Tumblr are good for this)

•Compose a poem or song to say what you feel (I'll admit, sometimes this is hard to do, especially when those dark thoughts cloud up your mind so much that it's hard to think. You could also simply look up quotes or poems that express how you feel)

•Listen to music that expresses what you’re feeling (Although,  some people find it better to listen to positive songs that'll cheer you up)

If you self harm to calm and soothe yourself:

•Take a bath or hot shower (Studies have also shown that standing in an ice cold shower for a while if you're starting to have thoughts of self harming, will make you forget that you wanted to self harm because of the cold water)

•Pet or cuddle with a dog, cat, or any other pet like that (In the mental hospital I went to, they would bring therapy dogs some days, and they would actually help me into a much more positive mood)

•Massage your neck, hands, and feet (This will help to release any tension you may have)

•Listen to calming music (music in general has always been a big help for me, almost like a way to escape)

If you self harm because you feel disconnected or numb:

Call a friend, you don’t have to talk about self-harm (I know I can always count on my friends to cheer me up. Having someone to rant to always makes me feel better)

•Take a cold shower (Make it cold enough that it's almost painful. It's healthier than self harming, and trust me, you won't feel numb afterwards)

Wear a rubber band around your wrist and pop yourself with it everytime you're having dark thoughts (This one has been very helpful for me. I wear one rubber band on each arm everyday, and it really helps a lot)

If you self harm to release tension or vent anger:

•Exercise vigorously—run, dance, jump rope, or hit a punching bag (This one helps me a lot. It'll also help to make you feel more confident about your body if you have trouble with that. Just blast some music and work out a bit)

•Punch a cushion or mattress or scream into your pillow (Instead of hitting yourself, take it out on some soft inanimate objects!)

•Squeeze a stress ball or squish Play-Doh or clay

•Rip something up (sheets of paper, a magazine, etc.)

--------
I really hope this helps. Feel free to comment any healthy coping skills you use and I might add them to the chapter.
--------
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255