Facts About Self-harm

- "people who self-harm only want attention"

Unfortunitly, most people who self-harm do it in secret, so they aren't trying to get any attention out of it. In fact, it can make it very difficult to ask others for help.

- "people who self-harm are crazy and dangerous."

Well, it is true that people who self-harm might suffer from anxiety or depression and self-harm may help them to cope. It's true that self-harm leeds to people being a danger to themselves, but that doesn't mean they 're crazy. They just have a hard time dealing with there emotional problems.

- "people who self-harm want to die."

Actually, most self-harmers don't want to die. When they self-harm they aren't trying to kill themselves, they're trying to cope with pain. In fact, self-harm might be a way to help themselves go on living. However, self-harm does have a higher risk of suicide, which is why its so important to get help.

-"if the wounds arent bad, its not that serious."

This doesnt matter in this case. Just because the wounds aren't as bad,  doesn't mean they dont need help.

Self harm Statistics:

•Each year, 1 in 5 females and 1 in 7 males engage in self injury

•90% of people who engage in self harm begin during their teen or pre-adolescent years

•Nearly 50% of those who engage in self injury activities have been sexually abused

•Females comprise 60% of those who engage in self injurious behaviors.

•About 50% of those who engage in self mutilation begin around age 14 and carry on into their 20s

•Many of those who self injure report learning how to do so from friends or pro self injury websites

•Approximately two million cases are reported annually in the U.S.

While these self harm statistics are from reliable sources, truly accurate information about rates and trends of self mutilation are difficult to come by because the majority of participants conceal their activities. Their behavior may never come to the attention of medical professionals or other social services.

--------
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255