2. Scars

Young Volcanoes - Fall Out Boy

Every scar tells a story, and every smile hides one. In Luke's case, it's both. I never thought he'd be capable of betraying the gods... then again, I never thought I would be either.

"Yes," I spoke , "I'll join you." I look him straight in the eyes. "What do we need to do?"

"We need to summon a hellhound into the camp... tonight"

- Short time skip brought to you by my rapidly depleting will to live -

The teams were announced for capture the flag. Athena and Ares would be leading the teams, which happened pretty often. My cabin, which was the Hermes cabin, was allied with Athena, along with the Apollo cabin. Everyone else was allied with Ares, so we were facing the Dionysus, Aphrodite, Demeter, and Hephaestus cabins.

"So, Nyss," I said, walking alongside my best friend while putting on my armour. "What traps are you planning to put out today?" She just laughed and shook her head.

"Sorry Krys, you know I can't tell you that. You're on the other team. Plus, I'm sure you have some stuff of your own set up in those woods." I had actually placed a couple of tripwires connected to smoke bombs, but they were relatively harmless, as I didn't know what the plan was yet, and the Athena cabin was sure to have one.

"Maybe I do, maybe I don't," I said, smirking. "You'll just have to wait and see." Nyssa chuckles, reaching over and ruffling my long, blonde hair.

"I'm sure I will flashlight, I'm sure I will." And with that she walks off, joining her team clad in red bristled helmets, probably planning for tonight.

"Hey sparky," says a voice behind me, putting a hand on my shoulder. "Whatcha up to?"

"Hey Luke," I said, turning around to face him. His face is calm, but his eyes are hardened with gravity. "What do you need?" I ask.

"I just wanted to check in and make sure you were ready for later tonight. You're not having any second thoughts, right?" I shake my head, my face hardening.

"I'm committed Luke. They've never done anything for us. I've been here for 5 years now, and Apollo still hasn't claimed me. They deserve what they have coming." He nods at me, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Good," he says. "I'll do it after the game ends. Enjoy your next couple hours, have fun, let's win this game." And with that final note, he walked away, towards the armour shed to grab his equipment. I walked over to the huddle of kids with blue helmets.

A bang echoed across the area. "Heroes!" Chiron announced. "You know the rules. The creek is the boundary line. The entire forest is fair game. All magic items are allowed." I smiled at that, pulling out my twin daggers that I had stolen many years ago from my mother's stash of Ancient Greek artifacts. When you touched the hilts together, they merged into a fully functional bow, which I'm sure my mother had no idea about, but I just got really lucky to have stolen those specific ones. They were made of some type of gold, I'm not sure what it was, all I know is that it worked just fine on monsters. 

Chiron continued, "The banner must be prominently displayed and have no more than two guards. Prisoners may be disarmed, but may not be bound or gagged. No killing or maiming is allowed. I will serve as referee and battlefield medic. Arm yourselves!" The table was suddenly covered in shields, helmets, swords, and spears. I already had all of my equipment, so I started heading towards Luke for my assignment.

"You'll be on border patrol." I heard Luke tell the new kid, Percy Jackson, the one the hellhound was for. My eyes widened.

"Him?" I asked with eyebrows raised. "Didn't he piss off the Ares cabin earlier? He's gonna get skewered into a human shish-kabob on Clarisse's spear." The new kid looked at me in fear.