11. The Fleece

Glitter & Gold - Barns Courtney

- Time skip brought to you by Beltbuster, Tammany, and Lockhart the sheep -

I watched from around a corner as Percy stabbed the boulder with his sword. Spark flew, but the boulder didn't move an inch. I let out a sigh. I had to reveal myself eventually, might as well do it while we wait.

"I don't think killing boulders is in the sword's job description," I said, stepping out of my hiding place. They had barely opened their mouths when I held up a finger to my lips. "Don't yell, whatever you do." I crossed my arms. "So? When am I getting that apology for... gee, I dunno, leaving me on an island at the mercy of an evil sorceress?" I waited like that for a minute, while the pair stood there, speechless. "What? No words for the twelve year old girl you left alone in the middle of the Sea of Monsters?"

Annabeth spoke first, "We didn't have time to get you, we were being chased." Percy nodded in agreement. Annabeth continued, "Also, don't forget that you're not our friend, you chose your side, and you can face the consequences." I scoffed.

"I literally came on this death quest to help you save camp and you're still questioning my loyalties?" I asked. "I thought we were past this, but I guess you don't want my help. Big fucking surprise there. Annabeth the smart girl never did want anyone else's opinions. Except for Luke's of course, you treated him like he was the most important person in the world." I put my hands on my hips. "By the way, how's that going for you? You gotten over your little crush yet? Because he hasn't said a word about you since we left." That was a lie, and I knew it, Annabeth would always be Luke's favourite, other than Thalia, but she was gone. I couldn't ever hope to measure up to Annabeth in Luke's eyes, it's like he spends every day wishing that Annabeth had joined him instead of me.

Annabeth looked at me with stone-cold eyes, "You need to quit while you're ahead. You have no idea what you're talking about, and we need to get this open, so if you aren't gonna help, then leave, now." She turns to walk away.

"Of course I'M the one who doesn't know what I'm talking about! It's not like I'VE been on the ship with Luke for a year. No, obviously you know more. You always were so gods damned condescending! Where do you get the audacity!? I'm offering my help, and you need all of it that you can get if you wanna save camp. So for once just put your pride aside and let me help." She stopped, looking to Percy. He gave her a nod and she sighed.

"Fine," she said. "But we can't beat him by force, so we'll have to use trickery."

"Okay," Percy said. "What trick?"

"Well..." I started. "If you tell me exactly who we're up against, I can probably think of something. So, exactly what is this cyclops's name?"

"His name is Polyphemus," Annabeth told me. "He's the Cyclops-"

"The cyclops that Odysseus blinded on his way back from the Trojan war?" I asked. She nodded at me. "Well then, I know exactly what trick to use." I turned to Annabeth. "I think it's about time Polyphemus reunited with his friend Nobody." She smirked.

"Yes," she said. "It's been a while."

- Time skip brought to you by Nobody -

I watched from the ledge above as Percy's sheep made its way into the cave, and just as the cyclops was about to roll the stone back into place, I heard Annabeth shout.

"Hey ugly!" There was our distraction. Our plan had three parts, Percy would sneak inside under a sheep to get Clarisse and Grover, Annabeth would distract the cyclops by becoming "Nobody", and I would stay outside just in case the plan failed and everyone else got stuck in there. Although I have no idea how they think I would rescue them myself, my powers are useless against a fireproof and already half-blind cyclops. I can't burn him or blind him, so there goes both of my options, unless he just so happens to become flammable sometime soon.