10. Escape x2

Run Like a Rebel - The Score

- Short time skip brought to you by Perseus Guinea Pig Jackson -

The frigidarium was a large, enclosed room, with a pool of dark water in the middle. The only light came from candles along the walls, bathing the room in an orange light. I stepped up to the pool in the middle, peering down into the water.

"The pool is 5 feet deep, so you shouldn't hit the bottom too hard if you jump in," the business lady- whose name I now knew was Amara- said. She placed a towel, a small white purse, and a white sleeveless dress on the bench next to the pool. "I'll leave the door closed, no one will disturb you."

"Thank you," I said as she walked out, closing the door behind her. I turned back to the pool, trying to see the bottom . I reached out to the candle closest to me, pulling a part of the fire and magnifying it. A tendril of flame came from the candle and started to circle around the top of the pool. I caught a glimpse of the bottom, but quickly released my hold on the flame when my skin began to heat again. I quickly stripped, folding my clothes into a neat pile on the bench.

"Ok," I said. "Here we go." I took a step forward, and plunged into the pool. The cold water shocked me, and suddenly I was back in the wreckage of the CSS Birmingham. I felt my lungs fill with water as I sank deeper into the bottomless depths of the Sea of Monsters. My feet found the bottom of the pool, and I quickly stood. I grasped the side of the pool with both arms, hoisting myself over the edge and out of the cold water. I sat in a fetal position by the side of the pool, taking gasping breaths. There was no water in my lungs, yet I still tasted salt water in my mouth, even though the pool was fresh water.

I still hadn't completely cooled off yet, but that was the least of my worries right now as I grabbed my clothes, which had apparently been magically washed, as they smelled faintly of laundry detergent and lavender. Quickly dressing, I grabbed the sleeveless white dress, tucking it into the purse. The clothing options on that ship are terrible, and right now all I had was my camp shirt that I had worn on the quest.

I went to open the door, but the handle wouldn't budge.

"Shit," I said, hitting the door handle down with my fist. This time, the handle gave way, letting out a loud CRACK that resounded through the frigidarium. "I knew there was something off about this place." I opened the door, and peeked my head around the corner. Holy shit something was flying at my face.

"What the hell!?" I yelled, pulling my head back just in time. A cutlass embedded itself into the door frame inches from my face. "Holy shit!" I took off running. I bright orange shirt caught my eye, and I turned to see Percy and Annabeth running towards the docks. "Wait for me you idiots!" I yelled, taking off towards them. Apparently I wasn't the only one who wanted to get on that pirate ship they were headed towards, a group of pirates was chasing them towards the large ship, cutlasses raised.

They made it to the ship, I was still a bit away. Percy stood on the deck, and the ropes started to move before my eyes. Within seconds, the ship was moving down the dock. I was on the dock now, sprinting like my life depended on it.

"Wait up!" I yelled. "You can't leave me here!" The ship pulled off the dock, and I stopped at the end of it. I heard the metallic shriek of a drawn cutlass behind me, and I made my decision. Backing up a few steps, I looked down at the water and back up to the ship. This was it. I took a running start, my feet pounding on the dock as I neared the edge... and I caught myself on the last dock pole.

I couldn't do it. I couldn't risk falling into that water. Not again. I watched as the ship pulled away, I still stood there watching when I suddenly heard a poof  from behind me. As I turned, I spotted the guinea pigs on the dock in place of the pirates that had previously stood there, and the lady who had taken Percy and Annabeth from the docks before was standing behind them, with a cage and an empty bottle in hand.