21. Shit Goes Down

Icarus - Bastille

This felt like an intervention.

Hyperion and Krios both stood in the front of the throne room, along with Ethan Nakamura. They were all looking at me, which was terrifying because I was the shortest in the room at 5'6.

"Thank you for joining us, Lieutenant," Hyperion said. "Mr. Nakamura was just about to take the pledge, after which Our Lord will rise within minutes. I do, however, have a few items to address with you beforehand."

Krios nodded. "Come forward, Lieutenant," the Titan of the South beckoned me to the front. I came forward, standing in front of Hyperion.

The Titan of Heavenly Light held out his arms, and there was a flash of light. I looked away, and when I looked back, he was holding a sword.

"I wish for you to have this weapon," he said. "Call it anatolé." He handed me the sword.

"Daybreak..." I whispered, running my hand along the flat of the blade. It was the same sliver material as my dagger, and had a faint white glow. The hilt was accented with bits of imperial gold, and it was beautifully balanced. "Thank you, General, but why are you giving me this?"

"Once Mr. Nakamura swears his allegiance, you will take the pledge, and then you will impale yourself on this blade," Hyperion said gravely. "Your willing sacrifice will make the Lord of Time infinitely more powerful."

I stood there, mouth gaping. I knew I was loyal to the cause, but how far could I go before it was too much.

I straightened. "Why was I not told of this? Why must it be me who is sacrificed?" I demanded. I stared down the general, gaze unfaltering. "I never agreed to this!"

Krios cleared his throat. "We believed it better to allow you to find out only once it was required," the Titan said. "You do wish to see the fall of the gods, correct? Once we have control over the universe, we will retrieve you from the underworld and you may lead our armies alongside your father."

I froze.

"My... what."

Hyperion stepped forward. "It's true," he said. "You are my daughter."

I just stood there for a minute, in shock. My head was spinning as everything I thought I had ever known was torn apart in front of me. My godly parent, a Titan. My siblings in Cabin 7, more like distant cousins. My hatred for the gods, unjustified. My trust, broken.

Hyperion grew impatient with my silence. "Son of Nemesis," he said to Ethan, who was also shocked at the events that had just transpired. "Swear the oath." The Titan of the East gestured to the coffin. The son of Nemesis nodded, walking over to the coffin.

"No!" a voice yelled from behind me, snapping me out of my trance. "Ethan, don't!" I spun to see Percy charge into the room.

"We shall deal with you once he has awakened," Hyperion stated. "Swear the oath boy!" Ethan turned from the coffin, looking down at Percy.

"I told you not to spare me, Percy." The son of Nemesis told the Son of Poseidon. "Have you ever heard the saying 'an eye for an eye'? I learned what it means the hard way– when I discovered my godly parent. I'm the child of Nemesis, Goddess of revenge. And this is what I was made to do."

"Ethan, wait!" I exclaimed, starting towards him, but a pair of strong arms held me back.

"Don't do anything stupid Krys," Xavier said.

"Sorry Krys," Ethan said, turning toward the coffin. "I renounce the Gods! What have they ever done for me? I will see them destroyed. I will serve Kronos!"