4 - Shotgun

The next morning, I wake up with Jackie and I get ready for my first day at my new school.

I put on a light blue crewneck and some ripped jeans and my converse. Then I put on the necklace that my mom used to wear. She had it on during the crash but Jackie got a hold of it and gave it to me.

Then I brush my hair and grab my bag and head downstairs. Everyone is at the table eating. Then Katherine spots me.

"Claire! Hey do you want some breakfast?" Katherine asks.

"No thank you, I'm not really a breakfast person." I say.

"Are you sure? You didn't have anything to eat last night." She says.

"Oh, well actually Cole brought me some food last night so I did end up eating." I say. Katherine smiles.

"Well that's good to hear. Where's your sister?" She asks.

"Still getting ready. She puts in a lot more effort than me." I say.

"Mom! I can't find rumple." Jordan says.

"What the hell is a Rumple?" I ask Cole, as he's standing next to me.

"His pet snake." Cole says.

"Great. So there's a snake loose in the house?" I ask.

"Yep." Cole says. "You want shotgun? Like in the car?" He asks.

"I know what shotgun means, asshole." I say, lightly nudging his side with my elbow. He laughs a little. "And yeah I do."

"Claire gets shotgun!" Cole yells. I hear the other boys groan. I laugh a little. Then we head out to the car and Jackie is the last in.

I sit in the passenger seat and I start to panic a little bit. I wasn't thinking when I said I wanted to ride shotgun. My mom rode here and she died. She was wearing a seat belt too.

Cole starts to drive and everyone has their own little conversations. My breathing gets heavier and I close my eyes to try and calm myself down.

"You alright, Claire?" Cole asks.

"Umm, y-yeah. I'm fine." I say.

Then it clicks for Cole that I was in a fatal car crash six months ago.

"Ohhh, hey, I'm a good driver, I promise." Cole says.

"So was my dad." I say. Then Cole holds my hand to comfort me.

"Hey, we're gonna be alright." Cole says. "I promise." He says, stopping at a red light. I look into his blue green eyes and I calm down. He gives me a small, comforting smile and I give him one back.

Then he keeps driving but he still holds my hand.