8 - The Limp

The next morning I wake up and everyone is fighting over the bathroom. After Cole left my room last night, I got a shower so I don't need one this morning.

I hear yelling but it's just everyone yelling at each other for the shower. Apparently there's a schedule. Then Jackie goes to the downstairs bathroom.

I put on my ripped jeans and a short sleeved t-shirt and then I do my hair. Then Jackie runs into our room and takes her hair out of her towel. There are some bleached strands.

I start laughing. "Jackie what the fuck did you do to your hair?" I ask, still laughing really hard.

"The boys pranked me and now my hair is bleached!" Jackie yells at me. I toss her a hat.

"Put this on and suck it up." I say. Then I go downstairs and grab a piece of fruit and head to school with the boys. I'm still nervous when I get in the car, and I got shotgun again so Cole held my hand and assured me that we were gonna be okay.

Then I have a few classes with Cole and then the class before lunch, without Cole.

Then Erin walks into my class. "Ugh, really?" She asks.

"What?" I ask.

"I skip this class for one day and I have to sit next to Orphan Annie now?" Erin asks.

I look down, sad, and Erin sits down.

The teacher tells us to work with the person next to us on the worksheet and it's for math, which in good at.

"So, do you know how to do this shit?" Erin asks.

"Yes, actually, I do." I say.

"Wow, she's an orphan and a nerd." Erin says. I look down. "Yeah, cry about it." Erin says. "Ugh, you're not even a hot orphan. No wonder Cole doesn't like you." Erin says.

I've had enough. I've never been good at standing up for myself because no one would ever bully me back in the city. I stand up and grab my bag and start to walk out of class.

"Wait, Claire!" Erin says. I stop and look back at Erin. "Is that a limp?" She asks, laughing. "Hey everyone!" Erin yells. Everyone looks at me and Erin. "She has a limp. How about we call you... hmm... the limp!" She yells. Everyone laughs and I run out of class.

I go sit in the bathroom and take deep breaths, like Cole told me to last night.

Cole puts his hand on my back and rubs soothing circles on it to calm me down. "It's okay, deep breaths."

After a minute or two, I calm down and head to lunch after the bell rings.

"Hey Claire!" Cole says, a smile on his face, walking over to me.

"Hey Cole." I say, not energetic at all, not smiling either.

"You alright? You seem a little tired." Cole says.

"Yeah I'm fine." I say. "I think imma sit with Alex and Nathan today though."

"Why?" Cole asks, putting on a little pout face. That makes me smile and laugh a little.

"Because I wanna get to know them a little bit more." I say, only half lying. I want to avoid Erin but I also want to get to know Alex and Nathan.

"Okay Claire." Cole says. He ruffles my hair and then helps me get my food and then walks me to Alex and Nathan's table.

"Thanks Cole." I say.

"I'll see you later, Claire Bear." Cole says, winking at me and walking away. I smile and look back at Alex and Nathan, they're both smirking.

"What?" I ask.

"Little crush you got there huh?" Alex asks.

"Maybe." I say.