10 - Horses

"Is there anything left? Because I am starving." Cole says.

"You know you're supposed to call if you're running late right?" Katherine asks.

"Sorry, we lost track of time." Cole says. I sit down next to him and eat some food.

"Do you know anything about a bet with Issac this morning?" George asks Cole.

"No, doesn't ring a bell." Cole says.

"Seriously Cole?" Katherine asks.

"It was a joke, okay?" Cole says.

"Maybe ask Jordan what he's got on camera." Alex says. All the boys argue.

"I have to fix my hair." Jackie says, storming off.

"Can I at least help?" Katherine asks.

"No, it's fine." Jackie says.

"I'll help her Katherine, she's just a little hot head." I say, following Jackie upstairs.

—————————————————————————

The next morning, I sleep in and go look at the horses around 12. It's a Saturday so there's no school.

"Hey Claire." Cole says.

"Hey Cole." I say, still focusing on the horses.

"You wanna learn how to ride?" Cole asks. My eyes light up.

"Really?" I ask. Cole nods. "Yes!" I say.

We walk to the barn and Cole helps me get on the horse. Then all day he teaches me how to ride and we go riding together in the woods a few hours later.

"So, how's the country life so far?" Cole asks.

"Definitely better than the city." I say. Then my stomach grumbles.

"You hungry? I brought some snacks." Cole says. I nod and we both tie the horses up and sit down in a field.

We eat and then lay in the field in a comfortable silence.

"I love this life." Cole says. "Horses, fields, peace and quiet."

"Yknow what Walter?" I ask.

"What?" Cole asks.

"I kinda miss my old life." I say.

"Oh yeah? How so?" He asks.

"I could run track, I could hang out with my old friends, I could...uhh... I-I could... uhh." I eyes get a little teary and I feel my throat close up a little. "I-I could bake cookies with my mom." I say. "And watch movies with my dad." I say. I wipe my tears. "I-I'm sorry, I don't know why I'm crying."

"Don't worry, it's okay to cry sometimes." Cole says. He comes over next to me and puts his arm behind my head and we lay down in the field. "I miss football." Cole says. "Yknow, football was my life. It was my gateway to college, to success. But then I got injured and it's all gone." Cole says. I can hear the pain in his voice.

Put my head on his chest and hug him on the ground, he puts his hand on the back on my hand and he rubs soft circles on my back. We stay there for a bit and then head back.

—————————————————————————

That night, I wake up from a nightmare about my mom and I go downstairs to get some water. Then I see Olivia, Erin's best friend, walk out of Cole's room. My eyes go wide, so do Olivia's. She runs out and I go lay in my bed. I really like Cole, but he's dating Erin and hooking up with her best friend? What the hell?