9 - River

After school I go back to the Walter's and I do my homework and hang out in my room.

"Hey! Claire!" I hear Cole yell from downstairs. I walk downstairs.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"You wanna go for a drive with me?" Cole asks.

"I got nothing better to do." I say. "Sure." We get in the car and I start to get nervous again.

Cole holds my hand, "Hey, we're gonna be alright." He says. I nod and Cole starts driving.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"Well, your sister Jackie, snitched about the bleach and shampoo." Cole says. "So it'll be a mad house if we stay at home for another hour. Cuz there's a no snitching rule."

"That doesn't answer my question Cole." I say, laughing a little.

"We're going to this little river. It's peaceful." Cole says.

We drive down a dirt hill and I get extra nervous. I squeeze Cole's hand and he squeezes mine back to comfort me.

Then we get out and go sit down on some rocks by the river. Then Cole takes his jacket off and I get an idea. I grab it and quickly run away a little bit.

"Oh cmon." Cole says, smiling a little. He gets off the rock and goes to grab the coat but I move it away from him and he laughs.

"Cmon Cole." I say, laughing. Then I hop on some rocks right next to the river.

Cole runs to grab the coat but I spin it out of the way and I loose my balance and fall in the water. The current pulls me down and then I feel two arms pull me up.

"Claire! Are you okay?" Cole asks, worried. I open my eyes and they're met with Cole's. I start laughing and so does Cole. "You had me worried for a second there." Cole says.

Then I shiver. The breeze is pretty cold. "Sorry about your coat. I must've dropped it." I say, feeling guilty. Then Cole picks his jacket up from off the ground.

"Don't worry, you dropped it on the rocks." Cole says, smiling. He puts his coat on me. "Now cmon, let's go get some dinner." We both smile and he puts his arm around me while we walk to the truck. He opens the door for me and helps me get in. Then he gets in and holds my hand as we start driving home.

"That was actually pretty fun." I say.

"I agree. You scared me when you fell into the water though." Cole says.

"Really? The Cole Walter? Scared?" I ask.

"Only when it comes to people I care about." Cole says, seriously. I smile a little and put my head on his shoulder. "You can take a little nap if you want. We still have 20 minutes." Cole says.

"I'm not really tired." I say, yawning. Cole chuckles and I fall asleep on his shoulder.

I feel a gentle hand rub my arm. "Hey, Claire, wake up." Cole says. I wake up and see Cole.

"Are we back?" I ask.

"Yep, now let's face hell." Cole says. He helps me out of the car and we walk inside.