13 - Party

I get out of the car and see a lake surrounded by trees. It's beautiful. It's pretty cold though. I shiver and walk towards the house when I feel a jacket being put on my shoulders. I look to my right and see Cole smiling at me. I smile back and he walks ahead. I put my arms in the sleeves and follow him. I also see Erin so I try to ignore her.

Then Olivia walks over with some shots. "Oh cmon Olivia, Claire would never drink. Too much of a pussy." Erin says.

"You really doing this here?" I ask.

"Take a shot, Claire." Erin says. "I bet you won't."

I grab two shot glasses and drink both. "Let's see you do two that easily, Erin." I say, smirking. Erin does two.

Then the new quarterback takes his shirt off to go skinny dipping but he's wearing his football jersey. Then he and Cole starts talking.

"Hey it's just a number." The quarterback says.

"It's fine. It's not like I'm on the team anymore." Then Cole goes to get firewood and walks off. I feel bad for him. I know how he feels. Then the quarterback and a girl go skinny dipping.

"Hey Erin, how about a drink off." I say. "Whoever drinks the most cups of beer while standing at the edge of the dock without falling in, wins."

"Bet, limp." Erin says.

We both go stand at the edge of the dock and chug about 3 beers each until Erin falls in. "The shots getting to you?" I ask. Erin rolls her eyes and shivers.

I get another drink, desperate to forget tryouts and I walk into the woods and see Cole chopping wood.

"Hey there cowboy." I say. "Angry woodchopping huh?" I ask.

"You buzzed Claire Bear?" Cole asks.

"I dunno Cola-coca am I?" I ask.

Cole laughs at me mixing up my words. "I'm gonna make a fire, can you carry this woods for me?"

"Sure thing, hot, muscular, cowboy." I say. Cole smiles and laughs and hands me some wood. Then we walk to the party and make a fire in the fire pit. I sit down and Cole makes me drink some water. Then he goes and talks to his friends.

"Ok guys it's truth or dare time!" Erin says. "In this version, you pass on your turn by kissing the person to your left and then switching places. Just thought you should know, Claire."

After about 20 minutes, it's Olivia's turn. "Cole." She says. "Truth or dare?"

"Truth." Cole says.

I go to fill up my drink up the stairs.

"What do you really think about Dillan stealing your spot and your number?" Olivia asks.

"I'm actually done with this game, I quit." Cole says.

"Not surprising." Erin says. "Quitting is your thing these days." She says.

I fill up my drink and I go to walk down the stairs but I fall into Cole's arms and he grabs my waist to hold me up. "Okay, woah." Cole says. Then he takes my beer and drinks it. "That's enough for you Claire."

"Claire Bear?" Erin asks.

"It's just a joke Erin, not like you would understand." I say, drunkly.

"I'd actually like to pass on my turn." Cole says.

"You wouldn't." Erin says.

Cole looks down at me and while I look into his eyes I swear I feel myself go sober for a second. Cole puts his hand on my cheek.

Then everything goes black.