Chapter 6: Kidnapped

Warning: Depictions of heavy violence and cruelty. Reader's discretion is advised.

Large wheels rolled along a smooth road. A carriage displaying an aristocrat crest was driving through the lively streets. At first glance, it looked as if the soldiers were escorting a noble during their expedition, yet in reality, they were nothing but kidnappers who were trafficking people. Inside the carriage, two young girls were tied up, their mouths forcefully bound by cloth.

Aware of the lenient treatment of the Pei family by the city guards, the kidnappers made use of her carriage. Meanwhile, the maidservant, a recognisable aide by Pei Yufeng's side, provided cover for them.

With such an arrangement, the city guards only conducted a few rudimentary inspections and readily allowed the carriage to proceed.

As they travelled on the road for hours, the sky gradually darkened, until finally the carriage came to a stop.

Upon arriving at their destination, the kidnappers dismounted the carriage and went their separate ways, leaving a handful of people to stand guard while the rest either informed others of their return or collected their equipment.

Although they were supposed to keep watch, they were more focused on having a conversation. The two men standing next to the carriage were a prime example. They faced away from the carriage, not worried that the girls would escape.

A thin, exhausted man grumbled. "Didn't the maid say the girl is a cultivator? I expected she would possess more valuable items, but it turns out she only has a worthless sword. If I could just remove that expensive-looking bangle she's wearing and sell it, maybe I could earn a little more. Hmm... should I chop her hand off?"

The tall man gazed disdainfully at his money-grubber partner with contempt. "Are you an idiot? Remember, she's still a cultivator. Judging by her young age and decently attractive appearance, she should be a young prodigy from some sect. Naturally, she would fetch a higher price if sold intact than damaged. So, don't be greedy over short-term gains, brother."

"Tch, such a shame. The bangle could have sold for a good amount of money, too."

As the two men continued their conversation, their comrades returned, pushing a cart with a cage. Familiar with the situation, they turned around and hopped into the carriage, dragging the girls out. They proceeded to throw them inside and lock them in before covering the cage with a cloth and pushed it away.

With each step the men took, the lock on the cage rattled. Amidst the silent night, they hummed while passing by many pillars, navigating the familiar building with ease. After exiting a hallway, they arrived at a warehouse. They opened the doors and stepped in.

Moonlight poured into the room, illuminating multiple similar-sized cages inside. As they went deeper, rows of cages lined the area, occasionally revealing movements or faint sounds coming from within. In the end, they pushed the cage into the furthermost corner before leaving.

When the doors slammed shut and their footsteps grew distant, the once silent space suddenly burst like a bubble, causing many voices to erupt. Many people confined in their cages finally dared to breathe, as they sobbed and begged for release.

After a while, Luo Xue's eyes fluttered open, and she slowly sat up. From the moment she was caught, she had been pretending to be unconscious, waiting for an opportunity.

Despite the pitch-black darkness, Luo Xue could still make out her surroundings due to her cultivation. Sickly, malnourished children and women huddled together in small cages, their shoulders trembling, while tear-streaked faces reflected their fears. A scent of death pervaded the air, shrouding the entire place in an eerie and dreadful atmosphere.