1.14

Winnie was exhausted. They had been here all night as the UN was discussing in New York whether to give the UK the nuclear codes or not. She laid back in her chair. The decanter was nearly empty and Harriet had a fresh glass near her lips.

"All right, Doctor. I'm not saying I trust you, but there must be something you can do", Jackie sounded from the speaker again.

"If we could ferment the alcohol, we could make acetic acid", Harriet suggested.

"Nothing left", Winnie gestured to the decanter.

"Mickey, any luck?", Rose asked her boyfriend who had been sitting at the computer all night.

"There's loads of emergency numbers. They're all on voicemail", he told her.

"Voicemail dooms us all", Harriet downed her glass.

"If we could just get out of here", Winnie muttered.

"There's a way out", the Doctor revealed.

"What?", Winnie sobered up.

"There's always been a way out."

"Then why don't we use it?", Winnie smiled at him.

He looked at her in all her tired glory for a moment before he looked down at the speaker, "Because I can't guarantee that your daughter will be safe."

"Don't you dare", Jackie protested immediately, "Whatever it is, don't you dare!"

"That's the thing", the Doctor let out the closest thing Winnie had ever heard him get to a sob, "If I don't dare, everyone dies."

"Then do it", Winnie decided.

"You don't even know what it is. You'd just let me?"

"I'm one of everyone, anyway, aren't I? So, I'll die either way, this way five billion others may survive", she shrugged.

"Please, Doctor. Please", Jackie begged, "She's my daughter. She's just a kid."

"Do you think I don't know that? Because this is my life, Jackie", the Doctor stepped away from Winnie, "It's not fun, it's not smart, it's just standing up and making a decision because nobody else will."

"Then what are you waiting for?", Winnie whispered.

He stepped close to her again, "I could save the world but lose you."

"Except it's not your decision, Doctor", Harriet interrupted their moment, "It's mine."

"And who the hell are you?", Jackie asked.

"Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North. The only elected representative in this room, chosen by the people for the people. I command you. Do it."

The Doctor nodded and began to instruct Mickey on what to do. He got the emergency protocols out of the case and sat down in front of the speaker, "Use the buffalo password. It overrides everything."

Winnie watched him intently. He planned to bomb 10 Downing Street. And they really had no way out. She swallowed harshly. Oh, well, she didn't even have a job, and at least she'd seen the end of the world. That was sarcasm.

"What are you doing?", Jackie asked.

"Hacking into the Royal Navy. We're in. Here it is. HMS Taurean, Trafalgar Class submarine, ten miles off the coast of Plymouth", Mickey explained.

"Right, we need to select a missile", the Doctor told him.

"We can't go nuclear. We don't have the defence codes."