ELEVEN

SHINDARA

I got back home to the flat I shared with Chike and met him fuming in the sitting room. He had been blowing up my phone all night and all morning but I felt it was better to see him in person.

The moment he saw me, he flared up.

"Wetin dey work you this woman? You wan tok say you no see my calls bah? Because say I no fit come bar, you sef no come house!" When Chike starts with his pidgin like this, just know that he is very angry.

T: What is wrong with you this woman? Do you want to pretend you didn't see my calls? Just because I couldn't come to the bar.

I sighed and quietly dropped my bag on the chair, then went to meet him but he wouldn't look at me, so I went on my knees.

"My love, calm na! I'm sorry and I have many things to beg for but first, calm". I pleaded with him.

He looked at me questionably, he knew 8 had done something but he calmed down and sat. While still on my knees, I loved close to him and started explaining everything about Fade to him.

"What are you now saying? You want to marry him! Me nko? After everything wey I don do for your head, be like you dey mad". He responded, standing up and pushing me away.

T: After everything I've done for you, seems you are mad.

"Just a year". I said quickly. "One year, I just want her to suffer, that's all. The guy has money ooo, by the time I come back to you, I would have saved up well and we will start new life". I explained to him.

Once he heard money, he turned around with a smile. "Money is involved?" He asked again to confirm and I nodded.

"Ehn ehn, now explain the plan". He said, sitting back on the chair.

The plan was to taunt Fadekemi with the marriage for a year, make her suffer and then get a divorce. I knew I might not get anything out of the divorce but I planned on saving enough for the entire one year.

Once everything was over, I planned on setting him up with Fadekemi and accusing him of cheating, then request a divorce. Then, set Fadekemi up with a man so that Lolu doesn't trust her and he would want nothing to do with her. The man was Chike!

The plan seemed so perfect!

"But it must not pass one year ooo". He told me and I nodded.

After about a month, I went back to Lolu's house. I rang the bell several times before getting a response. I made sure it was late at night to be sure he'd be back from wherever he went.

"You?" He said the moment he opened the door but let me in regardless. I hesitated at first but went in with him.

"What's with the sudden visit? You didn't take my money, you just left without a word". He told me.

Playing with my hands nervously and staring at the floor, I replied. "I couldn't take your money, it makes me feel cheap".

"Okay, so what do you want?" He asked, getting impatient.

"I'm pregnant!" I told him.

He stared at me shocked, his eyes went from my face to my stomach. Suddenly, he started laughing.

"Pregnant? Are you a kid? Don't you know what a night stand is?" He asked angrily, guess the last thing he was expecting was pregnancy.

"I told you to take a fucking pill!" He yelled!

I guess the heavens were on my side! Who knew his mother would be around just the day I chose to come. She came running downstairs.

"Ma ko giri giri bo omolomo. Omope o ready lo lon re di". She yelled at him.

T: Don't scare the poor girl. You knew you weren't ready yet you slept with her.

Turning to me she added "Pele my dear, sit down".

T: Sorry my dear

I slowly sat down looking at him, he couldn't speak. The happiness inside of me ehn.

His mother went on to ask about me, laughing happily as though she had been expecting a child.

"Lolu!" She called her son.

"Ma". He replied with a frown.

"Ehn, you see this girl... O ma fe ni ooo!" She told him as a matter of fact.

T: You will have to marry her.

"Ah!" Lolu shouted! I thought he said he'd marry a stranger carrying his kids, were those just drunken words.

"Ehn... You know na, our kids ain't allowed to stay out of our home! You know!". Him mom told him and he nodded.

It was beginning to seem like there was more to it than they said but whatever it was, it worked in my favor.

"Ko de le se, abi you can deal with what comes after?" She asked him and he shook his head.

T: And she can't abort it.

That was how I became wife!

"If we are getting married, it has to be within this week or the next. We don't get married in my family once the pregnancy is already obvious". I told them, taking advantage of the fact that their family seemed to have taboos, I made up mine.

I figured they'd believe it since they had superstitious believes of theirs. Well, they did. The marriage plans started quickly, and I took my revenge to the next step, I invited Fadekemi to the wedding, not just as a guest but as my chief bridesmaid.