Chapter 2

The grand ballroom of Anuwat manor shone like a palace of gold and crystal, illuminated by the soft glow of countless chandeliers. Over a hundred guests moved gracefully around the room, their designer suits and flowing silk gowns adding to the opulence of the scene. But behind the laughter and chatter, danger lurked in the shadows, waiting to strike at any moment. The air was thick with the scent of expensive perfume and rich food, drawing the guests into a sense of security and warmth.

Nin surveyed the room, his sharp gaze scanning each guest for signs of suspicious behavior. His fingers curled around the grip of the gun hidden under his jacket as a sense of unease coiled in his gut. Something wasn't right. The air felt charged, as if the entire room was holding its breath in anticipation.

Pai leaned over and whispered, "Do you feel it too, brother?" His eyes were alert, scanning the crowd.

Nin gave a curt nod. "Stay close to T." His bodyguard nodded, his hand already resting on the gun at his hip.

The guests' laughter seemed too loud, too forced. A sheen of sweat glistened on more than one forehead. Nin's heart pounded as his fingers tightened around his gun. Any moment now—

A scream pierced the tension, followed by the sound of shattering glass. The guests erupted into chaos, scrambling away from the windows as a hail of bullets rained into the ballroom.

Nin threw himself in front of Pai, shielding his brother's body with his own as they dropped to the floor. Over the screams and gunfire, he shouted, "Find father and get to the safe room!"

Nin's ears rang from the deafening gunfire as he scanned the chaotic ballroom for his father. Broken glass and splintered wood littered the floor amidst the panicked guests fleeing for cover. He spotted his father crouched behind an overturned table, face pale but jaw set with determination.

"Go, now!" Nin yelled to Pai over the din. His brother nodded and scrambled towards their father, head low. Nin provided covering fire, squeezing off shots at the darkened windows where the sniper attack originated. The ancient manor walls provided some protection, but they were still dangerously exposed.

Nin's gun clicked empty. Cursing under his breath, he ejected the clip and slammed another one home. The bullets had stopped coming from outside. Either the snipers were reloading or this was just the beginning.

"Nin!" His father's panicked cry jerked his head up. Three men stormed through the ballroom entrance, assault rifles blazing. Nin dove behind a pillar, the bullets chewing up the marble inches from his face. He had to buy Pai and their father more time. Gritting his teeth, he swung out from cover and fired off three quick shots. One found its mark, dropping the lead gunman clutching his leg.

Pai hesitated, but T grabbed his arm and shoved him toward the hidden door behind the bar. He jerked his head toward their father. "Go! I'll take care of Nin. You two need to get to safety!"

T watched them go, then turned to face the threat, his gun raised and eyes narrowed. The assassins would pay for violating his home and threatening his people. He would make sure of it.

T scanned the room, searching for the remaining gunmen. There—a dark figure crouched behind the balcony railing on the second floor, rifle aimed at the fleeing guests.

With deadly precision, T fired off three shots. The assassin crumpled, toppling over the railing to the floor below.

But another figure emerged from behind a column, this one dressed all in black with a menacing skull mask. T shouted at Nin to draw his attention to the new threat. The eldest Anuwat dove behind an overturned table as bullets peppered the space where he'd just stood.