seven

The night that consumed the Kingdom after the funeral was a solemn one.

Rhaenyra was in the company of Alicent while Clarysse had all but closed herself off from the world, refusing to dine, claiming it she could not stomach it.

But a meeting of the small council was summoned, for all members safe for the King's cupbearer, the Princess.

The doors to the chambers opened, revealing the approaching King, he looked tired, haggard and defeated, everyone stood until the King was seated in his chair at the head of the table.

Instead of the usual sight of the Princess serving wine to the members of the Small Council, Lord Corlys Velaryon was the one turning around and grabbing the wine to serve everyone.

"Where's Rhaenyra?" Viserys questioned confused, rightfully so, his eyes moving from Corlys to his Hand.

"Your Grace." Otto begins, messing about with the ball that symbolizes his position in court, "This is the last thing any of us wish to discuss at this dark hour, but I consider the matter urgent."

Viserys frowned even more at his Hand's words, glancing at the rest of his small council, "What matter?"

"That of your succession." Otto reminded, after a few moments of silence, Viserys instantly looked to the rest of his council and even Corlys turned around to face the table.

"These recent tragedies have left you without an obvious heir."

"The King has an heir, my Lord Hand." Corlys reminded, his voice strong and respectful.

"Despite how difficult this time is, Your Grace, I feel it important the succession be firmly in place for the stability of the realm." Otto continued, looking only at the King, ignoring what everyone else was telling him.

"The succession is already set, by precedent and by law." Lord Lyonel Strong, the Master of Laws, countered, keeping his eyes on the Hand of the King.

"Shall we say his name?" Corlys questioned as he sat down at the Head opposite to the King, "Daemon Targaryen."

"If Daemon were to remain the uncontested heir, it could destabilize the realm." Grand Maester Mellos stated, prompting the Hand of the King to nod while looking at the King, as if he were to silently communicate with him.

"The realm? Or this council?" Corlys countered, giving the Grand Maester a side glare, his hand holding his own goblet of wine.

"No one here can know what Daemon would do were he king, but no one can doubt his ambition. Look at what he did with the gold cloaks." Otto reminded everyone, finally looking away from the king and to the rest of the members of the Council. "The City Watch is fiercely loyal to him. An army, 2,000 strong."