Chapter 1

*Alli*

"Are you ready yet? You are going to be late for school!" My mom yelled from the kitchen.

"I'm coming! I have to grab my jacket," I replied, about to break for the front door.

"Don't forget to grab a muffin on your way out; you know what they say? Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!" She reminded me.

"Mom, I'm not a baby anymore. I can take care of myself." I replied, pretending to be exasperated. "I know you can, but moms always worry about their kids no matter how old they are," she said, smiling.

"Fine," I said, grabbing a banana nut muffin and walking out the door. Only after the door had closed behind me did I regret not getting something to wash it down.

What could I say? Sure, my mom was a bit overprotective, but she loved me, and I knew she only wanted the best for me. So, I tried to keep her happy. If Mom was happy, so was everyone else.

It was the first week of my senior year; I could not believe how fast time had flown by.

My parents had surprised me with a black BMW 320d, and I was excited to show it off. On my way to school, I thought about what the next step was for me. The real world was fast approaching.

Pulling into my parking space, I saw that most of my friends were already there, which was no surprise. I was fashionably late from time to time.

I grabbed my bag from the seat and got out, but not before Macy reached my door.

"Omg, Alli! It's gorgeous!" Macy said, jumping up and down with excitement.

"You have the same car, Macy," I laughed.

"Only it's red, and look, it's parked right there," I laughed some more because she was indeed my best friend, the closest I would ever get to a sibling.

It was no shock that our parents had gone shopping together and gotten us matching cars. Macy was my A1 and always would be.

"Nice ride, babe," Nick said, pulling me into a hug.

"Thanks," I said, wrapping my arms around his neck and kissing him softly, feeling so lucky to have someone like him.

"Hey, hey, hey, no PDA...get a room!" Macy smirked, loving to give us a hard time.

Nick had been my boyfriend for the last year. He is the Beta's son, so to say our parents were happy with our union was an understatement.

We were not mates, but that didn't bother us.

A true mate's bond was rare. Most people have yet to find their true mate. Most will never. A true mate was a gift from the goddess. We were gifted with a second chance mate to ensure we would all have the chance at a mate and happiness.

Nick was that to me. I knew he was not my true mate, but he meant more to me than any other boy. I loved him.

He had been at boarding school since he was ten and only came home in summers, which I felt always flew by way too fast. We were best friends when he finally returned for good in our Junior year.

Something shifted one day. I wasn't sure how it had happened, but I was happy that it had. Being with him felt right, safe, and perfect. His golden hair and crystal blue eyes drew me in, showing me how breathtaking he was.

We fit so well that I was surprised that he wasn't my mate. He was my second chance, mate. I had no doubts about that; I could feel it and knew he could, too.

At this point, I didn't care if I ever found my true mate.

"Let me see what classes you have," Nick said, wrapping his arm around my waist and pulling me to him, bringing my thoughts back to the present.