Chapter 16

Chapter 16

*Matthew*

Her phone call broke my heart, and she sounded so broken. When I entered her room, she looked small, curled up in a ball, crying.

"Alli," I said, watching her intently.

She ran to me and wrapped her hands around my neck when she saw me." Tears streming down her face as she rested her head on my chest and ugly cried.

"What's wrong, Alli, and where in the hell is Nick?" I asked, curious.

"I left him." She said so softly I barely caught it.

"Why?" I asked, my heart beating erratically in my chest.

"I'm so sorry. I know how unfair this is for you." Alli choked out. When she calmed down, she explained what had happened, and I listened intently.

"Alli, please, I love you. Please don't do this!" Nick yelled from outside.

She froze in my arms, and I closed my eyes and sighed.

"I think you should give him a chance to explain," I said, even though each word tore me apart.

"This is hard to say, Alli, but he loves you. Is it fair to punish him for reacting to his first mate almost dying? Look how you still react to me, but you want nothing to do with me," I said, meeting her gaze.

"Ask yourself this: Why is he here instead of at the hospital with her? He's here begging you not to give up on him. I want you to be happy, so I won't keep coming to you like this. Your mate is outside, and he needs to know that you still love him. I love you, Alli, and I always will, but I'm not the one who should be here holding you." I said, kissing her forehead and walking out.

Each step hurt like a knife plunged into my heart, but I knew that her place was not with me anymore.

I walked outside, and Nick was pacing back and forth. When he heard the door close, he looked up, and a frown formed.

"Why are you here?" He growled, not liking that I was there.

"I'm in no mood to deal with you right now. I don't want to have to kill you because you're an idiot. Alli called me here." I replied, holding my hands up.

"She's in her room, and she needs her mate." I forced out, knowing this was the right thing to do.

"Nick," I called to him as I reached my car.

He turned and looked at me.

Hurt her again, and I'll kill you," I warned.

Nick nodded and ran inside.

*Nick*

I ran to Alli's room and swung the door open. She was on the floor, her head in her hands.

"Baby, please don't cry," I begged, pulling her on my lap.

"Why are you here, Nick?" She questioned, trying to get up.

I pulled her back and held her closer to me. There was no way I was going to lose her. Not without a fight.

"You're my mate, Alli. I love you." I answered, holding her face in my hands, needing her to understand

"What about Olivia?" she asked softly.

"I left her at the hospital once she was out of danger," I said truthfully.

"Please forgive me. I never meant to hurt you. I just couldn't let Olivia die." I said, rubbing her belly.

"I know you will always love her," she responded, wrapping her arms around my neck.

"Just like you will always love Matthew," I replied, looking her right in her eyes.