Chapter 20

Five years later....

ALLI'S POV

"Wake up, sleepy head," Nick whispered, shaking me softly.

"I'm leaving for the airport; my flight leaves in a few hours," he said, looking for his keys.

"Why do you have to go? Who's going to do the midnight run to the store for me when your daughter's craving something," I protested, pointing at my huge belly.

"You know I have to go. It's my job as Alpha. I have to be there to represent our pack. You know there is no place that I would rather be than with you and Alex. I will only be gone for a few days; I think Macy can handle your crazy cravings until I get back." He grinned, touching his lips to my huge belly.

"How's daddy's princess today?" Nick cooed. " Dad is going to miss you so much. Don't try and make an early entrance. I would be devastated if I missed my little girl's birth. I love you," he whispered, kissing my stomach softly.

"I won't be gone forever. I'm already a day behind everyone else because I had things to take care of here before I left." He explained.

I hated it when he had to go out of town, and I always had trouble sleeping without him.

"I love you," He said, kissing me.

"I love you too. Please hurry back to me." I said, wrapping my arms around him.

"Always," he shot back, picking his suitcase off the floor and heading to the door. I heard the door close, and he was gone.

Four days later...

I could not believe I was standing here now, having to say goodbye. The tears were falling from my face and I was trying to hold it together for Alex's sake. I never thought it would end like this after everything we went through, but here I was, seeing Nick for the last time before we headed out to the cemetery. I touched his golden blond hair, wishing I could see those bright blue eyes one last time. Before sitting down, I kissed his lips and lifted Alex so he could say goodbye to his daddy. How had this happened to us? After how hard we had fought to be together. My heart ached, and I felt like I would shatter at any moment. I struggled to hold the immense grief I was feeling at bay.

I sat in a daze as all the Alphas, along with their packs, came to pay their last respects to their fellow Alpha. There were so many faces, and yet I did not really see any of them. I was so lost in my grief. Nick had been the perfect husband, and he had loved me above all things. He had been everything I ever wanted. He had loved me through some of the most heartbreaking times in my life, and now he was gone. I felt empty and hollow without him. The only solace I found was that he had died instantly, and he had never had to feel the pain of death or leaving us behind. Right after take off, the plane had an engine problem, which had blown up mid-air. There had been no survivors. I laid my hand on my very pregnant stomach and cried because my little girl would never meet her father. He had been so excited about having a little girl. We had argued over what we should name her. He wanted Ari, and I wanted Anabelle. All that was gone now; I was alone and had to hold it together for my son and our pack.

"Alli," that voice was one I had not heard in years, yet it still managed to ease my sorrow. I knew who I would see when I looked up.I looked up slowly, trying to prepare myself to see him after so many years.

He looked just like he had the last time I saw him. Isabelle, however, had grown so much since I last saw her. The women with them didn't seem happy to be there. I had never seen her, and I wondered who she was.

"I am sorry for your loss; I had a lot of respect for Nick. He was a great man." Matt said sadly.

All I could do was nod. I was overwhelmed with so many emotions. I had no words. It meant so much to know that despite their past differences, he truly meant it.

"Can Isabelle and I come and see you some time next week? Just to check and see how you and Alex are doing?" he asked me sympathetically.

Again, I just nodded, wiping the tears from my face.

"See you soon, Alli, he said, striding away with Isabelle and a now frowning woman.