Chapter 3

*Chapter 3*

*Nick*

My heart hurt seeing Alli so devasted. She recounted what had happened the night of the dinner. I was angry that he had treated her in that way. I decided that it was time for me to talk with Mr. Eastman. I pulled up to his house and tried to calm myself before I got to the door. He was an Alpha, and I knew that he could kill me, but when it came to Alli, I was brave and would always protect her.

I knocked on his door and was surprised when he answered.

"What are you doing here?" he growled.

"I think you know why I'm here," I said, refusing to back down.

"Do the right thing and let her go. Let her make a life with me."

"I will never let her go. She is and will always be mine." He growled out.

"Only she's not, and there is no one to blame but yourself. Alli will be my wife; you can do nothing to change that. Her stomach will swell with my children. You choose your fate."

I knew that I should back down, but I couldn't. I wouldn't. I would fight for Alli till my last breath.

"Be a man and set her free."

"What is going on here?" Mandy asked, walking up behind us.

"Yes, tell your wife what's going on," I said, glaring at him, daring him to tell her the truth, knowing he wouldn't

*Matthew*

I was at a loss for words. How did you tell someone you love that you found your mate? She would know what that meant and how strong the mate bond was. I knew this would hurt her, but I could do nothing now to keep her out of the loop. I had to tell her.

"Mandy, I didn't want you to find out like this," I confessed. I said, taking a breath, "Alli's my mate."

The look on her face was something that I would never forget. I had hurt her, and I would never forgive myself for it.

"How could you keep something like this from me?!" She exclaimed with tears in her eyes.

"I take it that's what the two of you are arguing about?" She frowned.

"Did everyone know but me?"

"Yes, except for Alpha Mark," Nick said, making me want to kill him.

"I came here to ask that Matthew give Alli her freedom and reject her. She has already rejected him. Alli wants nothing to do with him. She's going to respect that you two are married. The situation was difficult for her, but Matthew is making it harder by not letting her go." Nick explained with a frown.

I could only stand there and listen because we knew what Nick said was true.

"I see," Mandy whispered. She turned to me, and I knew that everything was about to fall apart. Everything we had built was over.

"Do you want to be with her?"

What was I supposed to say to that? That I wanted Alli more than I wanted my next breath.

"You must understand what it is to find a mate, Mandy. I love you, and you know that. I choose you. But I love her, too; it's not something I have control over. My wolf wants her. I want her so bad it hurts. I won't sit here and lie to you and hurt you worse. I want to rip this boy's head off for touching her," I said, trying to rationalize what was happening.

She gasped and touched her heart, clearly hurt by my words.

I didn't want to hurt her. She had done nothing to deserve this.