The Forthcoming

I woke up to a piercing scream. A scream that took me not very long to realize was mine.

Another nightmare. And this one wasn't any less scarier than the one before. Kai had somehow come back from the dead and was chasing me down an endless hallway. And then I turned around and when he wasn't there I turned back around to find him with a giant knife and a crazed look right before he-

Ring, ring, ring! Ring, ring, ring! I jumped at the sound of my cell phone. I turned toward the clock on my nightstand and saw 5:00 p.m. I had been asleep all day.

I grabbed my cell and found Caroline's perky smile on the screen.

"Hi," I answered. 

"Bonnie Bennett, where are you?" her voice sounded no nonsense, like always.

"In bed..." I almost wanted to lie and say I was up getting dressed, doing anything but sleeping, because I knew what was coming next.

"Bonnie! You need to be up and about, doing something! It's 5 in the afternoon, why are you still in bed?!"

"I-"...

She cuts me off. " I haven't seen you for 4 days! It's been a month and 3 weeks Bonnie, you have to start living again..."

"I am living Caroline," I snapped as I got up and walked to the bathroom. " And you have seen me, you see me everyday when you wake up to go to class - and not to mention when you go to sleep."

I can hear her face scrunch up as she begins talking again.

"That's not the same and you know it..." 

I begin brushing my teeth as I hear her sigh.

"Bonnie... you know it wasn't your fault. Kai-" I was the one to cut her off then.

"Mhm!" It was the most sound I could make while brushing my teeth and having a phone to my ear.

I didn't want to hear Kai's name - I already had to deal with him in my dreams... or nightmares.

It was like even though Kai was dead, he wasn't. Because what he did left unchanging consequences. No one had seen Tyler since Elena's "funeral" and I knew it was because of his change. He didn't want any of his friends around when that happened. Ever since the wedding night, he hadn't been able to control who he attacked so he most likely has himself locked up somewhere alone.

It made me sad to think about it, because I knew how he felt. Alone. Helpless.

And I also knew Caroline was probably going crazy with him no where found, Elena gone, Damon "grieving" and then me isolating myself. So I softened up because I felt bad. She and Stefan were the only ones holding it together - and everyone knew how. They were finally together. 

"Okay..." I said as I put on some pants and a t-shirt. " What do you want to do?"

I heard Caroline intake a breath in the middle of something she was saying.

"Seriously?" her answer scared me a little seeing that she was the one begging to hang out.

"Uh, yeah ?"

" Meet me at Damon and Stefan's," her voice now it's usual perkiness, seeing that she had gotten her way.

"Uhm, okay?" I didn't even want to ask why - although I didn't really want to see Damon. I had been avoiding him for a few weeks because I thought he needed alone time to grieve. And of course because I was somewhat scared he would come to his crazy senses and kill me so Elena would wake up. 

But I knew that was crazy. If he wanted me dead he could've been killed me. Especially when Kai almost killed me for him.

Kai.

Him again.

The nightmares had started the way you fall asleep. Slowly, then all at once. Some were conversations with him , things I wouldn't necessarily call nightmares - but they weren't dreams.

He would talk about how sorry he was and in one dream he would cry and I would just sit there glaring at him. And it felt so real.

But the real nightmares felt like memories that never happened. Him chasing me in different places. Places I had never been and frankly never want to see.

But for the past few weeks I'd been having this feeling in my stomach. Deep down - like the one I had the morning of the wedding day. One that told me something bad was about to happen....but this time it was different. Like something bad but right was about to happen. Maybe it's because this time it won't be my fault.

"Great!" I heard Caroline say before the line went dead and all that was left to hear was the pounding of my heart as I realized this feeling was just as intense as the one I got right before the wedding.