Chapter 64. Nightshifter

Deans POV

Frank, who is also dressed in a dark suit, comes out the back with some papers in his hand. Ana turns to face him as he speaks. "So, what's it like being an FBI woman?" He asks her. "Well, it's dangerous. And we gotta keep a lotta secrets but sometimes it's lonely." She tells him. "I so know what you mean." Frank tells her and she nods.

Me and Sam, also dressed in our suits, are interrogating the manger, a middle aged man. I look at Ana, who's talking to Frank not to far from us so I can hear their conversation, and clench my jaw. "Helena was our head buyer. She...she was family, you know? She said it herself, every year at the Christmas party. She said we were the only family she had." The manager says as I look back at him.

"So there were never any signs that she'd do something like this?" Sam asks him. "No. Still can't believe it, even now. That night, Helena came back to the store after closing. Cleaned out all the display cases, and the safe. Edgar- our night watchman- he caught her in the act. He didn't know what to do, he'd known her for years. He called me at home." The manager says. "And that's when she took his gun?" I ask him. "She shot him in the face. I heard him die. Over the phone." The manger replies.

"Any idea what her motive could have been?" Sam asks. "What motive? It makes no sense. Why steal all those diamonds, all that jewellery, and then what? Just dump it somewhere, just hide it, and then go home and..." the manger explains as I look back at Ana and Frank.

"She killed herself?" Ana asks him. "Well, the cops said. She dropped the hair dryer in the bath and fried herself. They should know, right?" Franks says, questioning, and Ana nods. "Well, thanks Frank, I think that's all I need." She says. "Really? Because I've got more. You know..." Frank says before he looks around slyly. "If you wanted to interview me sometime. In private?" He asks.

Anas eyes go wide as she looks over at me to see the glare on my face before she looks back at Frank. "Thanks but I'm not interested in that way." She tells him. "Oh, come on." He tries again, stepping closer to her and I go to storm over when Sam grabs my arm. "Frank, my boyfriend is standing right there." She tells him as she points at me.

He looks over and his eyes widen as I glare at him. "Like I said, not interested." She says again, walking over to me and I wrap my arm around her waist, still glaring at Frank. Anas hand comes to my cheek, bringing my face down to hers as she kisses me softly. "I'm all yours." She whispers against my lips and I smirk. "Damn straight you're mine." I say, squeezing her ass, possessively, making her smirk back.

"So you never saw the security camera footage yourself then?" Sam asks the manger, drawing back our attention. "No. The police, they took all the tapes, first thing." The manager tells him. "Yeah, of course they did." I mutter.

******

Leaving the jewellery store, the three of us drive down a dark street and pull up in front of a small house. "Five- this is it." Ana says. "Frigging cops." I growl. "They're just doing their jobs, Dean." Sam tells me. "No, they're doing our job, only they don't know it, so they stuck at it." I growl as we get out of the car then I turn to Sam.

"Talk to me about this bank." I say to him as we approach the house. "Uh, Milwaukee National Trust. It was hit about a month ago." Sam replies. "Same M.O. as the jewellery store?" Ana asks him. "Yep, inside job, longtime employee, the never-a-million-years type. Dude robs the bank then supposedly goes home and commits suicide." Sam tells her.

"The guy Resnick, he was the security guard on duty?" I ask. "Yeah. He was actually beaten unconscious by the fella who heisted the place." Sam says and Ana shakes her head. "God." Me and her mutter. "Yeah." Sam says as he knocks on the screen door.