Chapter 119. Yellow Fever

Deans POV

"This is the Garland file." Linus tells Ana and Sam as he hands them a folder. Then he looks over their shoulder. "Is he...drunk?" He asks them as he nods his head at me as I sway back and forth. "No." Ana replies as Sam reads the file.

"Deputy, according to this, Luther Garlands cause of death was physical trauma. What does that mean?" Sam asks. "The guy died 20 years ago, before my time. Sorry." Linus says. "Then can we talk to the sheriff?" Ana asks. "Uh, he's out sick today." Linus tells her. "Well, if you see him, will you have him call us? We're staying at the Bluebird." Sam tells him then he holds up the file.

"Mind if I take this?" He asks and Linus shakes his head. "Know what? You're awesome." I say to Linus, who looks at me confused. "Thanks. Um, y-you too, I guess." He replies. "Alright, come on, lover-boy." Ana says as we leave.

******

We walk inside an assistant building when I begin to speak. "This isn't gonna work. Come on, these badges are fake. What if we get busted? We could go to jail." I say panicked, as a resident walks me and startles me as Ana turns to me.

"Dean, calm down. Deep breath, okay?" She says and I take a deep breath. "Feel better?" She asks and I shake my head. "Just come on." She says as I start to scratch my arm. "Don't scratch." She tells me firmly as I drop my hand.

Eventually, we come up to an older guy and Sam walks up to him and introduces us. "Mr Garland." Sam says and the man looks over at us. "Hi uh, I'm Agent Tyler. This is Agent Perry and Agent Kramer, FBI. We'd like to ask you a few questions about your brother Luther." He says as he gestures to me and Ana.

"Let me see some I.D." Garland says. "Certainly." Sam nods as we show him our badges. "Those are real obviously. I mean, who would pretend to be an FBI Agent, huh? That's just nutty." I say and Ana elbows me. "Sorry, he's new. He gets nervous sometimes." Ana assures him as Garland looks at me suspiciously.

After a moment, Garland looks back at the badges and hands them back to us. "What do you want to know?" He asks us. "Uh, well, apparently your brother, Luther, died of physical trauma." Ana says and Garland scoffs. "You don't agree." Sam stated. "No, I don't." Garland says firmly.

"What would you call it?" Ana asks him. "Don't matter what an old man thinks." Garland says. "Mr Garland, we're just trying to get the truth on your brother. Please." Sam pleads as Garland considers his words for a moment.

"Everybody was scared of Luther. They called him a monster. He was too big, too mean looking. Just too different. Didn't matter he was the kindest man I ever knew. A lot of people failed Luther. I was one of them. I was a widower with three young 'uns. And I told myself there was nothing I could do." Garland says.

"Mr Garland, uh...do you recognise this woman?" Ana asks him as she hold up the drawing of Jessie. "It's Jessie O'Brien. Her man, Frank, killed Luther." Garland says. "How do you know that?" Sam asks him.

"Everybody knows. They just don't talk about it. Jessie was a receptionist at the mill. She was always real nice to Luther, and he had a crush on her. But Frank didn't like it. And when Jessie went missing, Frank was sure that Luther had done something to her. Turns out the old gal killed herself, but Frank didn't know that. They found Luther with a chain wrapped around his neck. He was dragged up and down the stretch outside that plant till he was past dead." Garland explains.

"And O'Brien was never arrested?" I ask him. "I screamed to every cop in town. They didn't want to look into Frank. He was a pillar of the community. My brother was just the town freak." Garland replies. "You must of hated Frank O'Brien." Sam says and Garland shakes a bit.