CHAPTER III

2020

"Has the disinformation been disseminated?"

"Yup. Every faction of the Faithful's been misdirected. They all think the Saved are in possession of the book."

"Splendid." Fisi finished signing a document and handed it back to his Masked secretary, who took it and left the room without so much as a word. "Their little 'holy war' ought to keep the Protectors and Xirxine even more preoccupied."

"Hopefully. They've been ramping up patrols in every haven worldwide in order to save some time for investigating us."

"Well, we'll just need a few more hands on deck, then." Fisi leaned back and rapped the arm of his chair with his claws. "How are you handling post-partum, dear? All is well, hm, hmhmhmhmhm?"

"Not even close," was Eve's weary reply. "I've barely slept a wink and I'm running on fumes. The kid rarely sleeps, either—just cries all night long. I feel like a zombie."

"Then take some time off," Fisi suggested. "You've done your part for the time being. Simply rest behind the scenes and let things play out as they will. I and my brethren can handle all the details for now."

"You sure?" Eve asked, a frown in her voice. "I mean... I can still function. Kinda."

"Trust meyour services are not necessary for the time being. Take care of the child while you can, for you and I both know the Peacekeepers will do nothing to you so long as she is in your possession." Fisi grinned. "Rest, Leaping Doe. The Dark Celestials have everything under control."

---

"I don't like this."

It was September 13, 2020—the one-year anniversary of the Phoenix's most recent rising.

For much of the Northwest Safe Haven, the day was treated like a holiday: orange, red, and pink fireworks were bursting in the sky; people wore Phoenix merchandise and face-paint; some children were even running through the city, playing with their new Phoenix toys (courtesy of the recently-opened Tembo's Toyshop—made in Rio de Janeiro).

The Phoenix herself, however, was not partaking in the festivities. Rather, she and her Avatar—that being Cameron Walden-Wallace—had been summoned to a special party being thrown just for them.

By Fisi.

Cameron and her three Worthy remaining in the haven (Zill, Kayla, and Gustav) stood outside Divine Dining, a restaurant that was part of the Dark Celestial's new Darkness Divine restaurant franchise. Admittedly, it was classy establishment—credit where credit's due and all that—but the Protector Force Core knew better than to let their guard down based on how something looked on the surface.

Especially if that "something" was owned by Fisi.

Addressing the doubts that Zill had voiced, Cameron turned to look at the arthrogon and said, "Neither do I. But this is our first chance to sit down and have an actual conversation with this guy; there's no way we could turn that down." She gave a half-shrug, adding, "Who knows? Maybe he'll slip up and we'll find something incriminating."

"And if he does, I'll be ready," Zill added with a grin, thumping a flaming fist into his open palm.

"'ere's 'opin', luv," Kayla agreed, holding up a pair of crossed fingers.

Gustav simply narrowed his eyes, his forked tongue flicking out of his mouth in a display of unease.

Cameron exhaled, tossing her long orange hair—unimpeded by a headband—over one shoulder and opening the door to the restaurant. "Here we go," she muttered.