CHAPTER VI

POWER: Awakened

Eve followed the C-Team through Z.P.A. in a discreet manner, timing her movements just right so as to avoid the XXM soldiers and XXID detectives crawling all over the place. They were on high alert due to the Saved's attempts to steal the body of Moll Ferris—which was, of course, part of Eve's plan.

Eventually, Eve made her way into the library, where she saw Knox walking behind Salvia's desk. Ah, the good old days, she thought, smiling as Knox typed a code into the old computer: "KASTAHAVEN" (the Oldehaven word for "Havenkeep"). Eve thought back to when she'd first started training under Salvia and the magician had taught her the code, but had to quickly shake herself out of her memories as the Havenites headed for the back of the library.

Eve descended the staircase after the C-Team, staying out of sight until they reached Winston's old office. From there, she simply leaned against the wall next to the door outside the room, listening to her ancestors—that is, the Parriarchs—explain the Founding before revealing themselves as Founders. She smirked when they brought up the mysterious "deer-man" who'd come up with the idea for the havens, and exhaled when the leader of the C-Team, Delvis Billiard, asked the Parriarchs, "Do you know the deer-man's name—or at least his descendants? They might have some information for us."

At that, Eve spun away from the wall and stood in the doorway, declaring, "His name was Adam Black Horn."

And from that point on, she was "in".

-

Immune to the ire of the Havenites thanks to her legal status, Eve joined them on their quest to find and Awaken the Founders. She learned more than she'd already known, hearing stories from the Founders' pasts float through the echoes of the First Haven and quickly storing them within her mind. By the time the search was over, Eve was brimming with new knowledge and practically shivering with excitement.

Founders located—check. Saved operation set up—check. Everybody ticked off—SUPER check. Eve snickered to herself as she entered the Tower. We didn't even have to turn the citizens against Xirxine—they did that themselves. This is all going perfectly.

"Someone looks proud of themselves, hmhm."

Eve looked over her shoulder, surprised to see Fisi entering behind her; he'd apparently parked a few moments after she had. "Well, why shouldn't I be?" Eve asked with a smirk. "I've done everything right. We're looking at a dominant victory here if it all goes as planned."

"Indeed." Fisi matched step with Eve as they headed into the elevator. "The Dragon is here, is he not? I sense his presence."

"Yeah, he's here, alright," Eve confirmed, nodding. "And he's just like I thought he'd be, based on the echoes: brash, overconfident, and spoiled."

"Easy to manipulate?"

"Incredibly easy."

"Excellent."

Fisi and Eve exited the elevator and headed for the main office, where they found Cthylla waiting in the shadows. Eve plopped down in the seat while Fisi made his way to the window, staring out of it and letting out a slow sigh. "And so the pieces have fallen into place," he stated quietly.

The hyena god looked over his shoulder, surprising Eve by not grinning but only smiling, his hidden eyes fixated on Cthylla's shadowy form. "Be ready for anything, my dear," he instructed the Great Old One.

"I am ALWAYS ready, rat," Cthylla retorted indignantly. "Just make sure you hold up your end of the deal."

"But of course." Fisi nodded to Cthylla and faced the window again, now allowing himself a large, crooked grin. "Let the games begin," he hissed.