CHAPTER V

POWER: Exorcism

"What shall I say to him, bibie?"

Eve finished placing the pieces of paper in the folder she held and handed it to the Masked Man. "Nothing," she answered simply. "Just give him this. We'll be operating out of his warehouse in short order once he sees the contents."

"Ndio." The Masked Man dipped his head to Eve and left the office.

Eve walked back around Fisi's desk and sat down behind it, leaning forward and putting her face in her hands. "Come ooooonnnnn," she groaned. "This is taking too long."

"You've waited this long, haven't you?"

Eve stiffened, straightening up as an unfamiliar voice emanated from behind her. She slowly turned around in the chair...

...and saw a spectral giant standing outside her window.

The creature was 10 feet tall and ghostlike, with silver hair, jet-black skin, and glowing cyan eyes. He wore silver rings on his hands, and from his neck hung a chain with a diamond-and-silver-coloured pendant made of intertwining rings covered with eyes.

Eve gasped with false excitement, leaping out of her seat. "Oh my goodness!" she cried. "You're Zuriel ben-Metatron, former CEO of the META Corporation and First Head of the Malakhites!" She applauded exaggeratedly, adding, "Bravo and brava, big fella! Looks like you made a great escape from your daughter's raptorial jaws of death!"

"I've been known to cheat death every now and then." Zuriel floated closer to the window. "At the moment, I have no means by which to leave the Underworld and return to the land of the living; however, there are plans unfolding down here of which I am a part, and I have been commissioned as a messenger to you as part of said plans."

Eve leaned back against the desk, resting on her hands with a curious look on her face. "Do tell."

"Your great-grandfather Alastor requests a favour," Zuriel explained.

Eve's curious look turned into a frown. "A favour," she repeated. "Uh-huh. And what might that be?"

"One of his... associates... broke a deal," Zuriel responded. "He wants you to go to her residence and retrieve an item."

"Whose residence and what item?"

"The Director. A vinyl disc."

"What does it look like?"

"You'll know it when you see it."

"Unfortunately, I'm indisposed. Maybe Fisi can pick it up." Eve lifted her shoulders questioningly. "But what do we get in return?"

"Nothing. It's a favour."

"Well, that hardly seems fair."

"He's your family, isn't he?"

Eve scoffed. "He's a psychopathic serial killer. I don't trust him as far as I can throw him."

"Then allow me to incentivize you," Zuriel offered. "Bring him the record, and we will treat you favourably when our plans come to fruition."

"Sure you will." Eve cocked her head and apologized, "I'm afraid that, without a deal, I can't agree to this. I can check with Fisi, but, well... you probably know his history with Alastor by now."

"I'm well aware of it." Zuriel sighed and checked his pocket-watch for a moment before snapping it shut. "Well, I appreciate your time nonetheless," he remarked. "Let me know what Frederick decides to do."