CHAPTER VII

POWER: Rebound

Eve sat at the desk in Fisi's office, watching the live feed of his address. He'd just announced that all the alleged illegal activities performed by the Masked had actually happened—something he and Eve had long prepared to do, seeing as how "Project REVELATION" was finally completed, and they'd lost the allegiance of the Safe Haven Mafia. In any case, their exposure no longer mattered; with the power of the Double Avatar, Fisi now had no equal on Earth besides his fellow Dark Celestials.

"As the current proprietors of the Safe Havens, we have the authority to do with them what we wish," Fisi was saying. "And what we wish is to give each and every haven to the one to whom they rightfully belong... the one who claims them as her birthright."

"That's my cue," Eve said to herself with a smile, standing and turning to walk over to the window. She looked down as Fisi's voice emanated from the hologram projector behind her, declaring, "Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the lovely Eve Black HornChief Peacekeeper of the Seven Safe Havens!"

Eve's smile morphed into a grin as she waved enthusiastically to the reporters far below. She knew they probably couldn't see her clearly, but the moment was overwhelming! All those years of planning... all those roadblocks I had to overcome... they were all worth it! she thought as tears appeared in her eyes. She moved away from the window, covering her mouth with her hands as her heart leapt with joy. I'm so close... so close! Two more steps, and my work is finally done!

Eve turned her back on the window and walked back to Fisi's chair, falling into it as she wiped her eyes. "But it's not over yet," she whispered to herself. "No, not yet. Before I can get what's mine..."

Eve's eyes narrowed, and she let out a long breath. "...the Protectors have to get theirs," she hissed with a cruel grin.

-

Eve sat in that chair for a few minutes after being christened Chief Peacekeeper, reveling in the peace it brought her—knowing she was finally in control of her birthright.

That peace didn't last, though, because it was only a few more minutes before gunfire rang out from the first floor of the Tower.

Eve frowned, one of her rabbit ears rising straight up as she listened to the echoes. "Oooh... she finally made it," she said after a moment, her eyes lighting up. "Took her long enough."

She waited a little longer. Then, when the doors to the office were pushed open, she turned off the holo-projector and stood to her feet as the assassin known as Raptor entered. "Well, well, well," Eve purred, her eyes sparkling. "Look who it is: everyone's favourite hit-woman." She smirked and added, "Welcome to the First Haven, Raps."

---

After the short battle with Raptor—in which Eve had failed to enslave her with a mind-dagger, as she'd intended—the jackalope left the Tower and headed to the Animal District. Once there, she disembarked from her limo and went deeper into the forested area of the district on foot.

About ten minutes of walking later, Eve found herself in the geographical centre of Safe Haven. She sat down, cross-legged, and lifted her head, staring into the night sky.

It wouldn't be long before Xirxine, the Protectors, and several different armed forces launched their assaults on the Safe Havens. This would probably be the last moment of peace Eve got before it all went to hell.

And she intended to use them wisely.

Eve closed her eyes and lowered her head, reaching deep into her memories as the markings on her body began to glow with soft white light. "It's time, Adam," she whispered, sighing. "After all these years... it's finally time."