Chapter 37: Stars and Orbits

CW/Important Note, PLEASE READ: There are two versions of this chapter. This is the edited, non-explicit version. This version is a more poetic, fade-to-black version that adheres to site rules and guidelines. I also wanted to respect readers on these platforms who have not been following me under the impression that this is mature fic, because its original rating is not M. With that being said, there are still implied parts in this chapter that may be sensitive to some readers, so skip ahead, if that is you.

If you would like to read the full, unedited, absolutely unhinged-in-how-filthy-it-is version, visit my linktree, anerdinallherglory, (located in my bio description) to find the link to the fic on AO3, where appropriate tags will be used. After reading the tags, you may have decided not to pursue reading that M version. Some may ask why I decided to write an alternate version, and I'm going to say that writing from Sasuke's, a male's perspective, seemed a little less delicate than Sakura's, and after reading it several times, I decided that this version only belonged on AO3 where readers could read the tags and then choose which one to read. The only part that is different is how detailed the descriptions go. I do believe that many would prefer this edited version, but I could be completely wrong for some.

As always, thank you for reading. Happy early Valentine's Day. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Chapter 37: Stars and Orbits

The location that Sasuke sought was something he had stumbled upon once on his mission between villages, concealed by pools of shallow water at the base. Now, in the darkness, the cave was near impossible for anyone to locate. Once inside the dense cover of forest, Sasuke had led them directly toward one of the many tree-covered mountains, the one with the fracture in the side that hid behind dense foliage. The falling rain had created flood waters and the shallow brook that Sasuke remembered was now rapidly flowing into the mouth of the cave, disappearing completely, and only Sasuke knew where it came out on the other side.

The darkness around them had faded infinitesimally, just enough that Sasuke realized night would soon give way to the faded in-between of dusk and dawn. But Sasuke was determined to have both he and his teammate safely tucked away into the mountain's embrace before any sort of light could reveal them to any potential followers; Sasuke was fairly confident that there weren't any left in the near vicinity that he hadn't already dealt with, but he wasn't going to take the chance anyway—not with both he and Sakura's depleted chakra levels. And so, he jumped into the rushing waters that had turned into a lapping stream, a tongue snaking out from the sideways mouth of the cave.

"What are you doing?" Sakura whispered loudly over the roaring sounds of the water and Sasuke could sense her reluctance to follow his lead, most likely not wanting to subject herself to any further waterlogging.

"It's a cave," he informed her, digging his feet deeply into the rocky bed beneath his feet, stretching his arm up to offer her assistance, which she immediately denied to Sasuke's extreme annoyance. Fine, he thought to himself. He was fine with her indignation because he was just as pissed off as she was. "We are going to have to swim through the entrance to get inside, so there's no point to waste chakra trying to walk on it just yet."

As Sakura slid into the black water, tightening her eyes at the shock of cold, the stream swelled up to her chest, pushing her tired body toward him in a jerk before her feet finally reached the bottom. "A cave? Won't it be flooded?"

"No," he answered. "Not dangerously so, at least." He offered no further explanation before allowing the pull of the water to guide him the rest of the way to the entrance. Just before committing himself to the dark fissure in the mountain's side, the open grin of the cave, Sasuke turned and grabbed Sakura's uninjured hand and lifted her arm straight up above her head. "The ceiling will lower. Keep your arm extended so you know when you must go all the way under water. I'll be in front of you, so stay close."