Chapter 14: Reunion Over Ramen

Sasuke watched as Sakura finished healing the long cut on his shoulder. The glow around her fingers subsided and as she lifted her hand, Sasuke instantly noticed that the cut had completely vanished, not even a faint scar left behind. Along with the wound, the pain vanished as well. He tried hard not to move away when she reached for his blackening temple and left eye. Her headbutt had nearly knocked him unconscious, and Sasuke couldn't imagine how he must look after such a blow. Sakura's own forehead was quickly darkening and Sasuke frowned at the bruise. Damn woman and her reckless strength and large forehead.

Sasuke's eyes widened when Sakura reached out and tenderly brushed his bangs away from his left eye. For some reason, it unnerved Sasuke for her to see his Rinnegan, and he suddenly wished the swelling was much worse so it would completely cover it. If Sakura sensed his unease, she didn't let on and instead cupped his chin firm with her other palm.

"Sorry about that," she commented quietly. "The good news is that your skin and Rinnegan match now."

Saskue just scowled at her. "Hn," he deadpanned. She thought she was so clever.

But before the relief of her glowing green fingers could brush against his rapidly swelling goose egg, Sakura suddenly swung around at the sound of someone landing on the branch beside them. On instinct, Sasuke stood immediately and placed himself between Sakura and the three ninja that had just joined them, reaching for the katana at his waist.

Sasuke relaxed when he recognized the familiar porcelain animal faces belonging to the Hidden Leaf's Anbu.

"What do you want?" he spat towards their lofty location.

The ninja exchanged glances before each taking on displeased positions, crossing their arms over their chests.

Sakura moved ahead of him then and quickly asked, "Is there something wrong?" As if she didn't know the answer to that question already.

One of the Anbu, a petite kunoichi with a fox mask, gestured to their surroundings with the wave of her arm. "We were sent here to investigate the disturbance occurring in this area, but we didn't expect the source of such a problem to come from the Hokage's very own students."

The taller, lanky Anbu spoke next, pointing at Sasuke's position on the opposite branch. Sasuke glared at him when he said, "Him maybe. But not you, Haruno-san."

Sakura just rubbed the back of her head sheepishly. "Ha ha. Well you see–"

She was promptly interrupted by the third Anbu, who swiftly pulled a kunai from his weapon's pouch and aimed it at Sasuke.

Sasuke's skin prickled and he sneered at the man, who was now walking towards them. The Uchiha's hand itched for his sword again. This bastard. Did he really think that he could possibly take him on? Anbu or not, Sasuke would not let this ninja near either of them.

"No-no!" Sakura exclaimed, waving her hands back and forth, "Just some training."

Sasuke scoffed and stood up straighter. Training, his ass. Like anyone would believe that after looking at the destroyed wasteland around them.

One of the Anbu–the tall one–let out a laugh. "Looks like you were the winner, Sakura." Sasuke frowned. Or maybe they were gullible after all.

Sakura giggled and Sasuke shot her a look of annoyance when she said, "You guessed right!"

"We'll report to the Hokage what we have found here," the female Anbu said formally, unwavering from her serious persona. She disappeared then, the tall Anbu following her cue and vanishing as well.

The third Anbu remained, the one who had directed his kunai in Sasuke's direction. The ninja had bright orange hair that reminded the Uchiha of Jugo. Burn scars covered his exposed right arm, and Sasuke's stomach knotted when he realized why the young man had been suspicious of him. This ninja must be one of Chino's burn victims that Sakura had mentioned. Although Sasuke wasn't directly responsible for this man's injury, Sasuke couldn't help but feel guilty.