Chapter 2: Setback

"I can't believe it. You're finally home."

The Uchiha responded with a small tilt to his lip and if she would have blinked, Sakura would have missed it. However, Sakura was unable to blink as she gazed up at the individual she had gone more than 2 years without seeing or hearing from. He looked terribly warn, her medically trained eyes assessing his form for any signs of physical injuries. Although he appeared unharmed, Sakura could tell that he had been involved in recent battle due to nicks and bruises on his skin, as well as the various tears in his cloak. Even though he seemed taller and his hair was longer, he looked just like the Sasuke she remembered; his hair was even rising up in the back to form his usual spikey Uchiha hair. Except now, his hair covered his left eye– the eye she knew was the Rinnegan. Something in his look had changed since she'd last seen him. Was that the trace of emotion in his expression?

"Yes," was his audible reply, before he looked back at the guards who kept their gazes fixed on the two of them. He frowned at them and moved away from her, walking through the gates. Sakura felt unsure of whether or not it was okay to follow him, until he slowed and glanced back in her direction as if to ask her if she was coming. It made her heart jump and it took every ounce of her willpower to keep from running up to him and hugging Sasuke out of her excitement. She caught up to him quickly and the two began to walk in the direction of the Hokage's building.

She couldn't believe that he was finally home and was here, walking beside her. She had practiced this reunion in her minds so many times, but Sakura found herself at a loss for words. After a few seconds of silence, Sakura asked, "Where are you headed?"

He made brief eye contact with her before stating, "I need to report to the Hokage to relay important intel and notify him of my return."

Of course, she thought to herself. Stupid question. After two years of not talking to him, Sakura felt slightly out of practice. Starting to feel slightly insecure and unsure of what to say to him, she glanced down at their feet as they walked. Sakura noticed suddenly how casually they were walking together, like it was something they always did together. Sakura couldn't help but notice how slowly Sasuke was walking, as if he were actually taking his time so that they could walk together. Maybe it was just wishful thinking on her part.

"You're up early," he stated plainly, glancing up at the brightening sky above them.

Sakura was somewhat shocked at his observation and giggled. "I could say the same about you."

He made no reply so Sakura continued, "I was just working on a healing treatment for the burn victims at the hospital. Not a lot time to waste these days." She raised the small casing of solvent in her hand, forgetting that she had even had it.

Sasuke glanced over at her then, raising an eyebrow. "Burn victims?"

"Yes," she replied. "The exploding humans did a number on a lot of individuals who put their lives at risk trying to stop them." She noted his frown at her words and wondered why he would do so. "Thank you, by the way," she stated briefly.

"For what," he asked, still looking forward as they walked.

"For what you did to help us. For what you did to help them. Without you, we wouldn't have been able to-" He stopped walking suddenly and turned to her, cutting Sakura short.

"Without me, none of this would have happened." He was looking directly at her, challenging her to contradict him. Her heart began to pound furiously under his direct gaze. Sakura worked up her courage.

"That's a ridiculous statement. If it weren't for you, those two would have walked around with hate in their hearts for the rest of their lives. What you did was a good thing. You helped them." He simply stared at her and Sakura offered him a small smile before continuing to walk. He followed, saying nothing.