Chapter 12

Roxane POV

..............................

" I'm going to go catch dinner." I stood up from my place beside Bilbo, took up my bow, and walked away. I strummed the string of the bow a few times before turning around in a full circle and humming. 

I sat down on a rock and began to sing a little tune I had heard.

Home is behind, the world ahead

And there are are many paths to tread.

Through shadow, to the edge of night.

Until the stars are all alight

Mist and shadows, cloud and shade

All shall fade

All shall.............

Fade

I stood and began looking for something to catch while singing the song over and over. 

.........................................

Bilbo POV

I was trying to find a comfortable sleeping position, but couldn't. I sat up when I heard a lovely tune. 

" Do you hear that?" I asked. The company stopped their small conversations with one another and stared at me.

" I don't-"

" Kili shush!" Thorin hissed. He heard it. The dwarves were awed as soon as they heard the beautiful singing.  It ended when Roxanne's footsteps could be heard. She came back with three rabbits all with arrows in them.

" Roxanne, did you hear that singing?" Kili asked.

" Ugh, Kili shut up. It was Roxanne." Fili punched his brother's shoulder.

" That was beautiful lass." Balin said.

" What do you want to do with these rabbits?" She asked, holding up the deceased hares. Thorin rolled his eyes.  " That is another five points! Take that Fili and Kili!" she yelled.

" Hey, I'm at forty and Kili is at what, fifty?" Fili pointed at his brother.

" Yep..." Kili said popping the 'p'.

" Oh no! I can't believe I'm only at 85!" Roxanne smiled.

" Anyways, wasn't that you singing in the forest?" Thorin asked.

" What do you want me to do with these rodents?" Roxanne asked. Thorin brought his hand up to facepalm but lowered it knowing the result.

" Just answer my question!" Thorin said irritably. Roxanne looked down and sighed.

" Yes. I didn't think you would hear it." she said softly. Kili asked for her to sing to them. "  I don't sing lullaby's!"

" But we're not asking for a sleeping tune are we? We all just want to hear you sing, it sounds beautiful." Dwalin said.

 Oh, misty eye of the mountain below

Keep careful watch of my brother's souls
And should the sky be filled with fire and smoke
Keep watching over Durin's sons

If this is to end in fire
Then we should all burn together
Watch the flames climb high into the night
Calling out father oh stand by and we will
Watch the flames burn auburn on
The mountain side high

And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine for the last time
Calling out father oh
Prepare as we will
Watch the flames burn auburn on
The mountain side

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire
Inside the mountain
I see fire
Burning the trees
And I see fire
Hollowing souls
I see fire
Blood in the breeze
And i hope that you'll remember me

Roxanne looked away when she finished and Ori clapped. 

..............................

Roxanne POV

Thorin looked hurt, so I looked away.

" Now look I'm sorry.... I know that dragon fire and death is heavy on your minds. It was just what came to mind and I didn't mean to make any of you feel bad in any way." I apologized. Nobody answered, they just looked a bit lost in their own thoughts. I handed Bombur the rabbits once he was finished heating up the water and laid down on my back. I couldn't believe myself. Why couldn't I just be normal and not sing sad and depressing songs? I stood and went back into the forest. I wasn't going to stand laying there by a bunch of depressed dwarfs.

And if the night is burning
I will cover my eyes
For if the dark returns then
My brothers will die
And as the sky is falling down
It crashed into this lonely town
And with that shadow upon the ground
I hear my people screaming out

And I see fire
Inside the mountains
I see fire
Burning the trees
I see fire
Hollowing souls
I see fire
Blood in the breeze

I see fire (fire)
Oh, you know I saw a city burning out
And I see fire (fire)
Feel the heat upon my skin
And I see fire (fire)
Uhhhhhhhhh
And I see fire
Burn auburn on the mountain side

I sang before instantly knowing I was being followed. " I swear. If that is you Thorin I will hurt you." I growled.

" I must be lucky that I'm not a crazy dwarf king." Bilbo sighed.

" What are you doing following me?"

" I wanted to make you feel a bit better. Thorin still takes you for granted, I however thank that you are here because you are such a good friend." the hobbit asked. I smiled and sat down.

" You are lucky to have me as a friend. If I hated you I would let you burn in the fiery inferno that will destroy us all!" I yelled.

" Whoa, Roxanne calm down. What is wrong?" Bilbo asked, resting a hand on my shoulder.

" Tell anyone I swear you will die. The truth is, I'm afraid of the fire. Without my cape and mask the fire will burn me. I'm just so afraid by it all, I'm not some fearless heroine who everyone thinks is the most bravest girl they have ever seen. But no, I'm afraid to even confess of my cowardliness." I felt like crying for probably the fifth time on this trip.

" I'm afraid too. You kind of made it worse with that song." Bilbo said softly. I laughed and he joined in too. Maybe it would be nice to have friends.

 No, to dangerous. I would have to love in order to have friends and love is a weakness.

.......................................................