Chapter 2

Hot shot was asleep in Cook Children's hospital. Hot shot was wondering about many things. He was just diagnosed with a brain tumor. His brain tumor was cancer and Hot shot didn't understand much about it either.

Hot shot at the moment was dreaming while holding on to Roxy the rhino. Hot shot saw he was standing around and proceed to walk. Hot shot saw something it was a brain. "So this is a brain?" Hot shot asked.

Hot shot looked at the brain. There was a lot to see at the brain. There were things that was busy at work. Hot shot wondered what they were doing. "What are you doing?" Hot shot asked.

"We are cells we are hard at work sending out commands from the brain and getting information for the brain to sort out." the cell told him.

"Oh," Hot shot said.

"It is our job," the cell told him. "We are all very busy," he explained.

"I can see that," Hot shot said.

"We are cells called neurons we are the ones who do that kind of thing," the cell told him. "Those guys are gial cells they help us neurons," he told him. "There are other cells too, there are even different tissues and glands in the brain that help you," he told him. "For instance you choroid plexus helps make the fluid around in you brain and spine which cushions it and protects it," he said.

Then an alarm was going off and Hot shot felt pain. His head was hurting. "Ow my head," Hot shot said.

They went inside the brain at the choroid plexus there was a lump in it made of bad cells. "What is it?" Hot shot asked.

"It's a tumor," the cell told him. "It is making you feel bad," he said. "These cells are causing problems," he said.

Then the tumor was flaming up and starting to spread. Hot shot was scared and tried to get away. But then the fire went after him. It was just about to get him when he woke up. "Hot shot is something wrong?" Quickshadow asked.

"I just had kind of a scary dream," Hot shot answered. "I am kind of scared about all of this although I am trying to be brave," he said.

"It is okay to be scared Hot shot," Quickshadow told him. "There is now shame in being scared," she said. "Being brave is doing what you need to do even though you are scared," she told him.

"I do want to get better," Hot shot said.

"We all want you to get better," Quickshadow said. "Tomorrow you will be seen by Dr. Ingi and she will see if you should start treatment tomorrow," she told him.

"Okay," Hot shot said.

Hot shot was kind of nervous about tomorrow. During the night a nurse was coming in to check on him frequently. Hot shot didn't like that too much. He was wanting to to sleep. He wanted the nurse to leave him alone so he could sleep.

The next morning the sun began to rise over the clouds. The light began to spill through the windows of the hospital. Hot shot woke up when the sun came through the windows. Hot shot saw the sun was up.

"Morning poppet," Quickshadow said.

"Morning mummy," Hot shot said.

A nurse came into check on Hot shot. "Good morning Hot shot," the nurse said. She checked on him and then took some blood from his central line. 

Dr. Ingi came into the room. "Good morning Hot shot," Dr. Ingi said. "We have your surgery scheduled in a few hours. So no eating until after surgery," she said.

"My tummy doesn't feel like food it is all flip floppy," Hot shot said.

"That is understandable," Dr. Ingi said.