𝐨𝐧𝐞.

"it's a long time coming, home at last"

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ - ᴘʀᴇᴄɪꜱᴇʟʏ, ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀɴ ᴀꜱꜱ.

PORTLAND ROW was quiet, the sound of the wind blowing the branches outside was the only thing Maisie Peters could hear as she sat in her bedroom. The room she made hers after Lockwood saved her that night more than a year ago. Various band posters plastered the walls, her cds were stacked to the sky, records covering shelves and lined up against each other. It was the perfect reflection of her childhood room, although as if it grew up with her. It was so comforting being in her bedroom, it's her haven where she's enveloped by familiarity and safety, surrounded by the things that reflect her personal taste and represents Maisie. 

The white curtains, fluttered with the breeze as her guitar sat on her stomach, writing lyrics in her song book, the brown leather book having gone everywhere with her, incase of a unintended spark in her growing mind. The peaceful strumming of her guitar could be heard from where Lockwood sat, in his chair, reading a old book. The hum of a tune and the melody of a new lyric she wrote were what captivated the boy, painting with sound, each note a brushstroke creating a masterpiece of melody and emotion. She was incredible. 

The opening of the front door, followed by three sets of feet are what cut Lockwood from his racing mind, Willow running down the hall with George following close behind. "There done, she's been walked now let me have peace, please!" George exclaimed dramatically walking to his room with a huff. Lockwood heard the slam of his door just laughed, the golden furred dog running to her bed next to his chair, curling up in a ball and shutting her eyes. 

Across the hall, Maisie felt hunger creep up on her, placing her guitar down, she left her room making her way to the kitchen to grab a snack. The kitchen was her favourite room, besides her own, food was her favourite thing and George's cooking at that. Opening the cupboard in search of the beloved biscuits she thought to steal, only to find an empty packet. "George!" Maisie yelled out to the boy. Waiting for a response she started walking out of the kitchen but only to be stopped by George walking into the kitchen. 

"What is it now?" He asked, clearly with a bothered tone. "I just walked your bloody dog, what more could you want?" Maisie just glared at him harshly.

"Willow is a team effort, I walked her last time and Lockwood before it was your turn now." Maisie exclaimed with a sassy hand on her hip, still holding the biscuit packet in the other. 

"Yeah okay, and?" 

"George!" Maisie yelled fiercely.

"What!" He matched her tone.

"Why did you eat all the biscuits?" Angrily shoving the empty biscuit packet into his chest, just as Lockwood walked in hearing the commotion from the other room.

"How do you know I ate them? It could of been you in your sleep, or, or Lockwood!" He struck back.

"Cause I don't sleep walk and Lockwood wouldn't." She stated, looking to Lockwood. "Would you?" Questioning her statement.

"I would not." He shot back, calmly  trying not to get involved. 

"I didn-" George started.

"Don't talk, I'd really hate to disagree with you again." Maisie remarked, with a sly smile. 

"Oh, see now I'm angry."

Looking at Lockwood, her eyes begging for help, he just shrugged pulling out a chair and sitting down. Maisie was sure she could see an imaginary bowl of popcorn in his lap. "Ughh!" She exclaimed frustrated, turning back to the culprit infront of her. "George I swear to god if you eat the whole packet of biscuits again, I will ban you from biscuits!" 

"You can't do that!" He yelled, throwing his hands out in front of him. "Can she do that Lockwood?" He asked, his voice high as he turned to the boy in the chair.

"Yeah, no i'm not getting involved." His earnest voice answered. 

"I'm going to find someone like you, that doesn't eat all the biscuits and replace you." Maisie argued.

"Sure and where would you look?" George snapped. 

"Hm, maybe I'll try the local sewers there got to be a few other street rats there!" She faked a thinking face, as Lockwood laughed from his seat, George sending him an annoyed look back. 

"That's got to be the nicest thing you've ever said to me." 

"I didn't say anything nice you moron." Maisie furrowed her eyebrows at his stupidity.

"Precisely, you're an ass!" 

★☆

THE FOLLOWING DAY the musical girl was in her room silently listening to music, when a knock on the door interrupted her thoughts, "Come in," her voice calm and soft. The door slowly opened to Lockwood. Maisie sat up on her bed and turned to him. She moved over so he had room to sit on the bed. Sitting he thought of how to start.

"As much as that fight between you and George was hilarious, he's really sorry he ate all the biscui-" 

"I knew it!" She exclaimed with a large smile on her face, knowing she won the battle. After realising she had cut the boy off she quickly apologised. Laughing at her flustered face, he continued.

"And he wanted to know if you would want to play a game of Monopoly with us." His voice was so soothing to Maisie, she could listen to it all day, like favourite song. "No cheating, involved."

"Hey! I don't cheat, if George told you that he's lying and tell him I'll kick his ass!" She retorted. Lockwood laughed at her attempt at lying, but he could see right through her, and he could see right through her as she cheated in their last game. 

"Maze, I literally watched you steal money from the bank last game, you aren't very subtile."

"I get told that a lot." She responded, her voice low as the memories of the man who helped her flashed in her mind, it was such a long time ago now. She wondered how he is. Looking back up to the boy next to her, "Listen, I'll play, but I do not promise to stay truthful and not cheat." Lockwood laughed at her, standing up and heading for the door.

"Okay, I'll tell George you promised not to cheat," he told her, sending her a grateful smile. 

"Lockwood!" Catching his attention before he fully walked out, "He owes me a packet of biscuits too!" Lockwood nodded at her, before shutting the door. 

★☆

𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄: lots of love